Author Topic: Ballpark valuation of this 1974 project  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Bodzer

Re: Ballpark valuation of this 1974 project
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,February 06, 2020, 11:26:18 PM »
I saw your post on the Elan forum as well. Perhaps you could reach out to other SoCal Europa owners who could help with an inspection? Joji (aka grumblebuns) has several Europas and is super helpful on the forum. He is in San Diego. Good luck with it!

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #16 on: Friday,February 07, 2020, 12:08:14 AM »
I have bought cars in that condition for between $6,000 and $10,000.

Does it have gas struts on the engine cover, and a map box on the engine bulkhead between the seats, and cloth inserts for the seats?

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #17 on: Friday,February 07, 2020, 04:24:02 AM »
I have bought cars in that condition for between $6,000 and $10,000.

Does it have gas struts on the engine cover, and a map box on the engine bulkhead between the seats, and cloth inserts for the seats?

Looking at the pics you can see the map pocket between the seats (through the windscreen) and the cloth inserts in the seats.

The front spoiler looks like the one i have fitted to my car - Banks origin.

I would check around the nose area for any signs of repair to the fibreglass, with the front indicator 'warts' not being present it could have had a front section replaced at some point (could be the angle of the pictures but the headlamp/top of the front wing area doesn't look Twin cam to me) and the replacement section may have been from an earlier car (S1's didn't have the indicators).
This would also make me want to check around the front end generally as if it has had damage to the front at some point then there is a chance that the chassis/suspension could be past their best (or not suitable for refurbish which makes any rebuild more costly!). Likewise, with the various parts painted 'non original' colours etc it may have been restored/rebuilt at some point already - they are old enough to have received a couple of rebuilds by now after all!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #18 on: Friday,February 07, 2020, 06:21:35 AM »
Good catch, it is a low nose front.  You would want to inspect the car very carefully before committing to buy.

Offline Tdskip

« Reply #19 on: Friday,February 07, 2020, 06:22:32 AM »
I saw your post on the Elan forum as well. Perhaps you could reach out to other SoCal Europa owners who could help with an inspection? Joji (aka grumblebuns) has several Europas and is super helpful on the forum. He is in San Diego. Good luck with it!

That is who I bought my Elan project from!

Great input gentlemen, thank you.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #20 on: Friday,February 07, 2020, 10:34:28 AM »
For a car that spent its life in dry states, there sure is a lot of corrosion in the engine bay. Overall the car from the few photos doesn't look too bad. I could go either way in the wart removal. Sticking the turn indicator lights in the intake screen is a quick and dirty solution to not making new holes in the body.

If you want to verify if the front has a low nose, there is a simple way to check if you're not familiar with how a stock TCS front nose is suppose to look. Place a level just in front of the headlight ring and measure straight down to the edge of the front hood. The stock TCS should be around 4" and the low nose front should be around 3". The measurements came from  two TCSs, one S2 and one S1. Only the S1 had the 3" nose. See photo for setup.

Offline Bart

« Reply #21 on: Friday,February 07, 2020, 11:36:15 AM »
Hi and welcome as a newbie myself  take my contribution with a pinch of salt. I recently sold a 73 TCS in very similar condition, non running, bits missing and tired interior for $8,500, it did however have new (refurbished) carbs and freshly refurbished wheels with new tires (figure $1200 cost for all that) and was a 5 speed.
Hope this helps in your evaluation.

Offline Tdskip

« Reply #22 on: Friday,February 07, 2020, 12:49:36 PM »
You all are giving the Elan forum a run for their money on being ridiculously helpful, very much appreciated, thank you.

I’d like to thank a certain San Diego gentlemen for his help and cooperation (here and on the Elan).

I have decided not to pursue this car, too many unknowns and warning bells. I believe that this and other one are in the process of being purchased as a pair. I should also really make sure the Elan is a driver before taking on another project.

Thank you again.

Offline 74Twincam

« Reply #23 on: Sunday,February 09, 2020, 11:22:26 PM »
Looks like it has lower adjustable links in the rear (good support for it to be a Special) and maybe I see brake boosters there too.  Having a five speed is at least a $1000 positive, so worth noting- there should be a small, round aluminum tag on one of the rear housing bolts indicating the transmission type number (hopefully not missing).
Lots of custom work though which takes value down, and an unknown engine condition.  Huge risk since you can’t drive it to see what condition everything else is in, but looking at it’s condition, I’d say you’d be in for all mechanical systems at least (engine, brakes, bushings, bearings, trunnions, boosters...). Peek behind/under the dash to see how much “custom” wiring has been done...
Your $5k value is probably solid, many of the parts on the car are worth that alone though.

Hagerty values are always on the higher side- #1 condition is considered not achievable (like a perfect score)- most gleaming show cars are really #2, etc.- this is probably a #5..

Offline Tdskip

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday,March 03, 2020, 07:59:36 AM »
Good morning - wanted to provide an update here. A local dealer picked these cars up.

I don’t have any skin in this other than wanting to make the cars find a good home.

The green one cleaned up very well, red is still solid but scruffy.