Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 3407 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: Newbie
« Reply #60 on: Saturday,September 28, 2019, 02:43:11 PM »
Google is your friend.  I have some period photos posted on my site:

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/

Check out

JB I spent so much time going thru your build,  appreciating every photo and thinking how to incorporate your achievements.
Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #61 on: Saturday,September 28, 2019, 03:29:00 PM »
Thanks, it’s a work in progress.  After a few passes the beefed up AC belt drive system is working properly.  The cable shifter worked out perfectly first go — a bit of an unusual occurrence.  Trying to bump the idle speed during AC operation is not provng easy.  Those 4 big throats mean the throttle hardly moves at all to bump the idle up a few hundred rpm.  I’m now trying a hand throttle using vernier aircraft controls.  Fall is here and winter not far behind so I’ll have lots of time to refine things over the winter.

I’m what is known as a “lemon” engineer in the trade.  A true engineer designs something and it works with minimal fettling.  A lemon engineer draws it up, makes it and then has to “suck it” and see how it works.  That’s me to a “T”.  I do most of my thinking with my hands.
« Last Edit: Saturday,September 28, 2019, 03:31:15 PM by jbcollier »

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #62 on: Saturday,September 28, 2019, 03:49:26 PM »
What are the major problem areas to look for in a Europa? What simple upgrades would you do to make it more reliabel?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #63 on: Saturday,September 28, 2019, 04:16:49 PM »
Turbofource asked “Are they really that bad?”

Well, it depends on your perspective.

My all time favourite Europa magazine article is from Car and Driver when they tested an S1 in New York City... in late fall.  Wet, cold conditions meant lots of problems with windows fogging and troubles trying to get rain-coat-wearing, American giants in and out of it.  A fixed window Europa is about as bad as it gets in those conditions.  The article starts here:

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-WxFHpXr/A

However, lose the rain coats, humid weather and stop trying to torture Kelloggs-eating, freaks of nature and it’s actually a fine car.  Like many period race cars, you adapt to it.  It does not adapt to you.  For some that is an insurmountable barrier.  They don’t get beyond the gymnastics required on entry nor the resulting hubcap-height view of the world.

Once happily ensconced, you need to drive with thoughtful, careful precision.  It does not pay to lift the throttle near the cornering limit.  Nor is it wise to let your attention wander while sharing the four lane with Hummers, semi trailers and assorted other land-yachts.

In theory we all want what the Europa delivers in spades.  In practice, not many are actually willing to put up with fogged windows and calisthenics to get to the promised land.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #64 on: Saturday,September 28, 2019, 05:17:47 PM »
What are the major problem areas?  Putting aside issues with 40+ year old cars in general, the main issues are rear suspension and cooling.  In this regard, later cars are better than earlier cars.

The rear suspension works, and works very well.  However, it requires much higher maintenance than a “regular” car.  It’s an adapted design from a race car and requires similar maintenance.  U-joints are subject to suspension loads and last a relatively short time, say less than 15k — later TC/S have larger joints which last longer.  Check your u-joints for play every time you change the oil.  Any play, replace them.  Check the half shift shimming every oil change as well.  Rear suspension rubbers fail, etc.  Easily repaired if you keep a regular eye on things.

The Achilles heel is the rear wheel axle sourced from the 40 hp Sunbeam Imp.  If you follow the service manual religiously, it is just ok.  Skimp, and it will fail with the rear wheel making a bid for freedom.  There are alternates but they are not cheap nor easy to fit.

The cooling system is marginal at best.  Cool, humid climate and you’ll never notice a problem.  First make sure the cooling system is clean and clear with fresh, mixed coolant.  Next fit a better radiator fan.  The early blades actually run backwards are ridiculously inefficient.  You can get an aftermarket rad fan for an 1980s Mercedes that is very powerful and reasonably priced.  Makes a huge difference.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #65 on: Saturday,September 28, 2019, 05:58:03 PM »
Will reducing the loads on the u-joints with a twin link rear suspension increase their longevity and take the loads off the transaxle and reduce the need for shimming? It seems this would be a worthwhile upgrade. Electronic ignition also would be worthwhile. How is the charging system? Is an upgrade needed?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #66 on: Saturday,September 28, 2019, 06:32:51 PM »
Yes, somewhat.  I did exactly that without regret.  But, it still will require regular checks and sooner than usual u-joint replacement.

Europas are not, and cannot be made into, Mazda Miatas or Toyota MR2s.  They are inexpensive cars based on race cars of questionable reliability.  I run mine long distances and perform extensive maintenance after every major trip.  Think about this carefully.  Any Europa is an ongoing project, requiring extensive maintenance even after a complete renovation.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #67 on: Saturday,September 28, 2019, 11:14:58 PM »
Hi Turboforce,

To underline what John's posted it often comes as a surprise to read the original service schedules for these cars.  For example - oil change every 3,000 miles or 3 months, grease the UJs every 3 months, etc.  6 months ?  renew air and servo filters, fill a grease gun with hypoid 90 & do the front trunnions. Plus the usual checks, repacking of front wheel bearings, changing plugs and points if required, etc.  Every 3 years you're supposed to overhaul the brakes completely and fit new washers, seals and brake hoses, strip and overhaul the servo, etc.

Not something we're used to with modern cars and I suspect the schedules were forgotten by the second or third owners of the cars, hence the "unreliable" tag that Lotus often received. These cars were designed & built in a high maintenance era.

You can improve on this of course, electronic ignition (but don't forget to oil those distributors !) synthetic oils with longer intervals, etc. But some stuff, like the grease guns,  you're stuck with.  But it's a hobby, right  ?   ;)

Brian

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #68 on: Sunday,September 29, 2019, 04:03:11 AM »
Indeed it is  8) I want a car that I can tinker with and make "improvements".
« Last Edit: Sunday,September 29, 2019, 07:49:37 AM by TurboFource »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #69 on: Sunday,September 29, 2019, 08:38:19 AM »
Indeed it is  8) I want a car that I can tinker with and make "improvements".

Trust me, you'll get plenty of "tinkering" with one of these  :)

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #70 on: Sunday,September 29, 2019, 04:28:13 PM »
I’ve been carping at but but I absolutely love my S1.  Just want to make sure you know what you’re getting into.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #71 on: Saturday,October 26, 2019, 07:49:19 AM »
Had some unexpected financial "challenges" lately. Good thing was I had the money, bad thing is I need to save again :(
Hopefully in the spring the search will resume for an S2! I will still be researching etc.in the mean time! Thanks to all who answer my questions!