Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 3478 times)

Offline literarymadness

Re: Newbie
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 12:58:40 PM »
This place is in Maryland and specializes in vintage Loti.

http://www.unionjackexotics.com/index.html

Ted Taylor is a member of the forum and has two Europas for sale.  He is in South Jersey.

http://www.taylormadeclassiccars.com/vehiclesforsale.html

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #46 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 04:10:52 PM »
Isn't the garage tour next weekend at Don Butler's? Is he the one you mention?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Online BDA

« Reply #47 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 04:25:35 PM »
 :FUNNY:

I doubt there are that many people in the US who want good technical advice about classic sports cars!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #48 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 05:54:14 PM »
  Being younger and NEVER making any mistakes...I purchased mine sight unseen from another mechanic I worked with who blew the engine and was getting married soon.
 It’s was love at first sight!
Never wrong ! No regrets!
Dakazman

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #49 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 06:48:15 PM »
Of course the ideal situation is to look at the car in person and bring an expert along.  That is if you are lucky enough to live in an area where Europas actually show up for sale. I live in South Florida and have been following Europa sales a couple times a week for the last five years.  During those five years, a total of 3 have showed up for sale in Florida: a S1a which sold locally for $27,500 and went to the UK; a Frankenstein S2 which barely looked like a Europa in Tampa on eBay; and very clean 1974 Black TCS which sold for for $26,500 in Jacksonville.  During the 12 months I was looking for a Europa for purchase, the only Florida car available was the '74 Black TCS and by the time I called about it, it was sold. My only choice was to look nationally.

My budget did not include flying in with an expert to a couple of different cities in the U.S. But as a college professor, I know how to research and to ascertain due diligence.  There were about 15 Europas available nationally at the time. I narrowed my search to three. I requested Vin numbers and copies of the Titles of those cars and course lots of photos and videos. From the vehicle titles, I was able to obtain the names of the most recent previous owners and via the internet I was able to contact them by telephone.  I figured they had no reason not to be honest because their cars were already sold. I ran searches on all three Vin numbers and found previous times the cars were for sale and a fair amount of useful information.  One of the cars, the previous owner had an actual website dedicated to its restoration, pages of information.  Two of the cars were also documented on lotus-europa.com giving me even more information.

When I finally decided on the one I wanted, I wrote Andy Graham at Lotus Archives and asked him to email the information so I could get it ASAP to verify what I might actually purchasing.  When he emailed me back he told me that my TCS was one of nine painted in L14 Colorado Orange.  I was happy with my choice.  I had researched the dealer, researched the car, spoken to the previous owner, and researched the seller who sold it to the previous owner.  The car had spent all of its driven life in California with a stop in Texas on its way to the Classic Car dealership in Ohio who specialized in Exotics and had only positive reviews.  Yes there are shady people who sell crappy cars on eBay and Craigslist but that doesn't mean that there are not legitimate dealers or sellers on sites like on BAT where experts do chime in.  As a matter of fact, I have seen members of this forum chime in on discussions during the bidding of Europas on BAT.  Maybe I just got lucky or maybe due diligence paid off.  Just my opinion, that is what makes this forum great.

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #50 on: Wednesday,September 25, 2019, 10:22:48 PM »
Hello TurboFource,
if you have the budget and you're looking to buy a good/restored car, I would follow the example of literarymadness.
Do as much homework as possible and factor in some travelling to find the right car for your money.

With a limited budget and seeking an S1 (rare here in the UK) I bought a project car from a US member on this site.
I wouldn't buy a supposedly 'roadworthy' S1 (or any vehicle) without seeing it in the flesh as you've no idea what you may get
One person's description of their car as 'totally original with patina' may be another person's idea of a scrapyard wreck...
Mark

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #51 on: Thursday,September 26, 2019, 01:51:15 PM »
I bought and rean Matthew Vale's Essential Buyers Guide for the Europa....is there any other books I should purchase and read ?

Online BDA

« Reply #52 on: Thursday,September 26, 2019, 02:10:25 PM »
You might check out John Bolster's The Lotus Elan and Europa: A Collector's Guide.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #53 on: Thursday,September 26, 2019, 04:27:26 PM »
Vale's book has a lot of "as found" photos.  There are some photos of correctly equipped and detailed cars but it doesn't tell you which are which.  Don't use it as a guide.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #54 on: Thursday,September 26, 2019, 06:39:06 PM »
It was not as informative as I was hoping it would be.....

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #55 on: Thursday,September 26, 2019, 07:02:36 PM »
Google is your friend.  I have some period photos posted on my site:

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/

Check out the registry here:

http://lotus-europa.com

Many of the entries have photos posted.

Quite a few period articles, sales literature, etc in the literature section.

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #56 on: Thursday,September 26, 2019, 07:16:45 PM »
The book jbcollier is referring to is a different book by Matthew Vale called  Lotus Europa: Colin Chapman's Mid-engine Masterpiece. His "Buyer's Guide" was a stopgap book for his most recent aforementioned book.

« Last Edit: Thursday,September 26, 2019, 10:22:31 PM by literarymadness »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #57 on: Thursday,September 26, 2019, 07:59:13 PM »
Thanks for the correction.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #58 on: Saturday,September 28, 2019, 04:09:29 AM »
Checked out your link JB , thanks!  The magazine articles seemed rather harsh about the Europa, are they that bad (I don't believe critics without checking things out myself, they are spoiled)? I plan to be at the garage tour next weekend so hopefully I will see some Europas in person :)

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #59 on: Saturday,September 28, 2019, 04:24:36 AM »
Read this Road and Track article from 1970

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a7579/lotus-europa-s2-classic-drive/

Road and Track has always loved Europas. Here are two more from John's link.

http://lotus-europa.com/literature/rt0772.html

http://lotus-europa.com/literature/rt1173.html