Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 3404 times)

Offline TurboFource

« on: Tuesday,September 10, 2019, 04:47:42 PM »
Hi to everyone,
My name is Kraig. I can remember the first time I saw a Europa, I think it was 1969 as I saw my first Mach 1 Mustang that day in the same parking lot! I have wanted both ever since. I have owned Mustangs (not a Mach 1) but never a Europa and I think I would like to now own one!

First off I am Europa sized I believe, 5'8" 155 lbs and size 8 shoes ! I have not seen one in person since that day in 1969.

I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland....is there one around here I could check out/try on for size?

Would one be reliable enough to drive as a fair weather daily driver? I think I really prefer the look of the S1 and S2...but would love the power of a twin cam.

Are transaxle parts available? What about rebuild parts for the Renault engine?

I have always liked small engined cars that handle reasonably well. One of my favorites was a mildly modified 1971 Capri, I currently have an '86 SVO Mustang.

I have watched all of Serge Sleurs videos online and done alot of online searching!

Looking forward to hearing your advice!!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Sandyman

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,September 10, 2019, 05:39:56 PM »
Turbo  :Welcome:. I, like you, have had a Europa dream for almost as long as you. These are rare and unique cars. I found my S2 on Kijiji which is the Canadian equivalent of Craigs list. There are some good Europas still out in the wild. I hope you have luck in finding one. As you know the quality very much depends on how much you spend and how much time you have to spend on a restoration. Happy hunting.
Sandy

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,September 10, 2019, 06:14:07 PM »
 :Welcome: There are a couple of Europa members in South Jersey including one for sale http://www.taylormadeclassiccars.com/vehiclesforsale.html  It might be worth a drive from Maryland.  S1 and S2s have less room than Twin Cams.  But at your height and weight, no Europa model should be a problem. You will find members on this site really passionate about their cars.  Drive one and you will want one.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,September 10, 2019, 07:10:48 PM by literarymadness »

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,September 10, 2019, 06:59:21 PM »
 :Welcome: turbo!

It seems there are a lot of Europas in your general area so hopefully you'll be able to find a nice example you can drive or restore and enjoy!

There are a few here who have and are restoring Renault powered Europas so it seems finding the parts for them is not a problem but from my reading, there are "idiosyncrasies" with them that require particular focus and techniques that are not common to more "conventional" engines. I speak not from personal knowledge but from what I've read. Hopefully those with more experience and knowledge will chime in. The Renault motors are certainly worthy power plants for a Europa. Modifications can can make them very potent machines.

The worst parts availability issues that I'm aware of is the fifth gear on the 365 tranny (supplied on some Twin Cams). In general, most Europas are pretty low mileage and manual trannies that are treated reasonably generally last many miles. To get a better idea of the availablity parts for a particular tranny, give Michel at Alpine-America (http://www.alpine-america.qc.ca/). He would have a good handle on that. Put your French hat on as his accent is very thick. He can also give you information on the Renault motors. Another thing to think about is that there are more modern Renault trannies available. The NG3 is one common tranny swap. Usually alternate trannies require alternate shift linkage and sometimes other modifications but they aren't that drastic and shouldn't scare you away.

A well sorted Europa will be a driving experience unlike any other. The long-time owners on this forum would be excused for being biased but I think this is quote on a Europa auction on bringatrailer.com
says it all:

I have no connection to this car or seller, NMNA etc, but I just want to say that, as some of you know from my online pieces for Hagerty, I just resurrected a ’74 Europa Twin Cam Special that hadn’t run in 40 years, and drove it last weekend to the Lotus Owners Group (LOG) event. I’m a vintage BMW guy used to 2002s, Bavarias, and my 3.0CSi, but I’m here to tell you, driving the Europa, even the ratty heavily patina’d one that I own, is the most fun I’ve had fully-clothed in decades, though I DO have to drive it with my right shoe off due to the pedals being so close together. Anyone who talks about the polarizing styling or throws around that “bread van” label probably hasn’t actually driven one of these. It is a total and completely addictive hoot. Most of the top-end parts are unique to the twin-cam head, but a lot of the bottom end is standard Ford 1600 block stuff, and much of the front end—brakes, tie rods, etc—cross-references to a Spitfire. And between the two major US parts suppliers (RD Enterprises and Dave Bean Engineering), most parts are a phone call away.

To all the people who say that they’ve always wanted one of these, trust me. You won’t be disappointed.

« Last Edit: Tuesday,September 10, 2019, 07:49:35 PM by BDA »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,September 10, 2019, 07:21:48 PM »
Daily driver?  Sure, as long as keep up with the maintenance.

I'm partial to the early ones as well.  You can stuff a Twink in, they did back in the day, but it is a very, very tight fit.  Easier to put a Renault crossflow or Toyota engine in.  Or, just keep it and enjoy it stock.  You're not going to catch the Moms in their 300 hp mini-vans regardless. 

Transaxle parts can be found.  Bearing, gaskets, seals and synchos are available new.  Other parts can be found used.  The Hewland made 5th for the 365 is almost unobtainium.

Rebuild parts for the Renault engine are mostly easily obtainable.  Original 10.25:1 pistons are scarce but Richard Banks has them for the 1470 engine.

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,September 10, 2019, 10:11:10 PM »
 :Welcome:
Hello Turbo,

I'm sure that a local owner or seller will have a car for you to 'try for size' - (I don't think that you'll have any comfort issues)
Then good luck finding/buying the car that bets suits your requirements.
Mark 

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,September 11, 2019, 03:18:33 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

The NG3 is from a Fuego? I haven't seen one of those in years, is the transaxle hard to find?

Offline Nero

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,September 11, 2019, 04:21:47 AM »
The NG3 is as far as I know of a 18 turbo. You can also go with a NG1. Both NG Gearboxes are not easy to find in Europe so I would imagine it’s even harder in the US but they do pop up sometimes so the only thing you need is time.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,September 11, 2019, 10:12:16 PM by Nero »

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,September 11, 2019, 04:43:47 AM »
 :Welcome: Turbo,
Sounds like you are asking the right questions. I too prefer the look of the S1 or early S2s (Type 46 and 54) before the headlight-height nazis forced a redesign of the front end. I am a fan keeping our cars mostly stock with a few sensible performance/safety/reliability upgrades, but to each their own, and there are some amazing resto-mods on this site. Daily driver? I would avoid rain and snow and have a back-up vehicle available. As far as parts availability, I've found everything I need is out there and available if you look hard enough and are willing to pay for it. As for fit, you are the perfect size for the Europa as long as you are limber enough to wiggle in and out of the drivers door. Good luck on your search.
Tom (aka Surfguitar58)
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,September 11, 2019, 05:25:37 AM »

Are you looking for a restoration project or a nicely sorted Europa you can drive and get to know it?

There is an S2 in Atlanta on Craigslist that looks very nice. I would jump on that quickly if your serious.

No affiliation or personal knowledge of this car for sale:

1971 Lotus Europa S2

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/6974791322.html

Offline 4173R

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,September 11, 2019, 06:56:58 AM »
Turbo -

The DC Chapter of Lotus LTD is quite active.

You may want to contact them to see different vehicles.

You can view chapters and their contact info at the link below.
https://lotusltd.com/local-chapters/

Good luck.

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,September 11, 2019, 07:02:40 AM »
The NG3 is as far as I know of a 18 turbo. You can also go with a NG1. Both NG Gearboxes are not easy to find in Europe so I would imagine it’s even harder in the US but they do pop up sometimes so they have boy thing you need is time.

When Richard was running things he usually had them, Lotus Supplies has taken over his parts business and I expect they will have them (http://parts.banks-europa.co.uk/orders_frame.htm).

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,September 11, 2019, 08:16:15 AM »
Nothing Renault is common over here but you can find 395s from R17Gs and NG3s from Turbo Fuegos if you are patient.

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,September 11, 2019, 08:46:26 AM »

I too prefer the older S1 and S2 Europas. Are they a daily driver? Absolutely if you take care of them. I have driven my "daily driver" Europa 8,000 miles this year and just returned from a 1,000 mile road trip.

I'm 5'9'' 155 lbs and fit well so you should be good. Buy the best you can afford.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday,September 11, 2019, 02:14:24 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! I will be looking for a decent driver when I look for one as I plan to drive it every nice day for work. I would probably restore as I drive it by cleaning and repairing etc. as I go. I like to tinker with things but don't want my first Europa to be an overwhelming project! My background includes welding, machining, precision rebuilds of industrial high speed manufacturing equipment etc. I am currently a boiler and pressure vessel inspector. I would like to at least sit in one etc. before deciding to buy.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,September 11, 2019, 02:18:22 PM by TurboFource »