Author Topic: Restoration of 460489  (Read 6507 times)

Offline Rainer

Restoration of 460489
« on: Sunday,July 21, 2019, 06:30:08 AM »
I promised i start a thread when i start working on the car.
So here we are.

My last full restoration took about 9 Month, but the timeframe for the Lotus is roughly 2 years from the point i move it into my workshop. Hopefully in early September.
Until then there will only be slow progression, but something has already been done.

The plastic windows were pretty much opaque and had internal cracks.
So i started experimenting, i tried Lexan and Plexiglas in 4mm thickness.

The process was pretty simple, i made a frame for the plastic sheet which fit in the kitchen oven, the slowly heated the sheet until it gets soft and start to bend.
Heated it for another few minutes the got it out quickly and pressed it against the old windows until it cooled down.
This was a lot easier than expected.
First i tried Lexan i, needed 210 Degrees Celsius (410F) to get it soft enough to take the shape from the old windows but around 200 Degrees steam bubbles started to appear in the sheet from moisture, pre drying did not resolve this completely.
So the next try was Plexiglass, which is acrylic. The magic temperature was 145 Celsius (293F), testpieces from 150C on showed distortions in the glass.
What i learned here, work clean even the slightest dust particle will give you a small dent in the new window, which need to be sanded and polished out. When cutting Plexiglas speed is the key, i used a circular saw mounted upside down, not the safest way i know.
Next step was cutting of excess material and sanding to final shape using a belt sander, if i needed slight adjustments to the shape, i could do the with a heatgun.
Finally i sanded with 500 1200 2000 2500 grid, then polished with 3M polish white cap.

The blower motor was the next candidate.
Mice ate my fanblade, the motor was rusty all over and it did not work.
Created and 3D printed a new fanwheel, testprint came out OK but is PLA and finall thing will be in ABS or PETG and smaller layerheight. Even the blades could be tweaked a bit.
After disassembly i found a piece of isolation lacquer which came loose and cut the coils two times, i soldered them back together and isolated with lacquer.
After reassembly the motor is working fine.
Don't mind the old screws all nuts and bolts, the will be re galvanised later. I had this done my last restoration and every nut, bolt and bracket from a 65 ford Taunus came as new, for slightly over 100€.

Next steps are:

Order the seat vinyl from the UK.
Find a solution for the quarter window plastic chrome, seems unobtainable, does someone have a source?

Rainer

Offline BDA

Re: Restoration of 460489
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,July 21, 2019, 07:22:44 AM »
That looks like a promising start! Would it make sense to put a film on the outside of the plexiglass to guard against scratching?

I have a TC so I might be asking out of ignorance but what are you referring to with "quarter window plastic chrome?" I'm not aware of any plastic around the quarter window. The window frames are aluminum and I can bet they are hard to find!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,July 21, 2019, 08:12:47 AM »
Richard Banks at Europa Engineering would be the one to talk to about S1 only stuff.  I wouldn't get my hopes up that much will be available though.  But, if it is, he'll know.

Offline Rainer

« Reply #3 on: Monday,July 22, 2019, 11:22:56 PM »
I thought of putting a scratch resistant film onto the Plexiglass, but Plexiglass XT is already pretty scratch resistant by itself and scratches can be polished out very easy if it should happen, so i decided against it.

S1 and maybe early S2 had window surround in plastic, its pretty much an aluminum foil between 2 sheets of thin plastic.

I will call Richard Banks, but before i still need to compile a list with questions, do not want to call him over and over everytime something comes to my mind.

Rainer

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,July 23, 2019, 03:38:18 AM »
That’s a major project you got yourself Rainer! I would think 2 years is a achievable time frame to restore the car in its current condition. I’m always amazed at the commitment people have to do these type of restorations, especially when they do everything themselves.

Post lots of photos as we like following these projects and there are a number of people on this forum that provide sage advice. 

Offline JohnMcL

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,July 23, 2019, 09:39:52 AM »
I will call Richard Banks,
Richard Banks at Europa Engineering would be the one to talk to

I am sure Richard will not mind, but his name is Richard Winter.  The business started as Banks Service Station before becoming Europa Engineering.  Also, note that the phone number on the website is for Lotus Supplies in Solihull near Birmingham who have taken over the spares part of the business.  The number for the actual Europa Engineering location in Banks is +44 (0)1704 227059

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,July 23, 2019, 01:18:54 PM »
 :Welcome:

JohnMcL
I remember reading your first post on oil passages and now an in depth outlay of all things  Banks.

We all would like to know what dragged you here?

Welcome
Dakazman

Offline JohnMcL

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,July 24, 2019, 02:05:30 AM »
Hi D'man,
Thanks for the welcome.  What dragged me here?  Well, a long time ago, before internet and cheap flights, to report on a race a journalist would have to drive there and post his copy or drive back with it.  One such journalist was the revered Denis Jenkinson and he went to Sicily from the UK to report on the '69 Targa Florio.  3,645 miles IN A EUROPA on give and take roads and he wrote about it here.
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/search/Europa%20to%20Sicily
Ever since reading that I have promised myself that I would have a Europa.  Time passed and life got in the way.  Retirement arrived and my wife granted permission for a major car project.  Instead of a Europa I was seduced into building one of these:-
https://www.gdcars.com/gd-t70-spyder/
The urge for brute power and massive grip has been slaked so now I turn to some kind of Europa project.  I don't want to buy someone elses project / solution and I don't have time to do a Serge Sleurs style effort so I am drawn to persuading Richard W to do a set of parts for building an all-new 47 or 62 with current tech driveline / running gear.

In the meantime I hover on the edge of your wonderful friendly community soaking up the atmosphere.

Apologies to Rainer for the drift.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,July 24, 2019, 02:08:25 AM by JohnMcL »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,July 24, 2019, 03:46:43 AM »
JohnMcl, nice little post that certainly got my attention. I had never heard of GD cars before and went on their website. Very impressive design/build of sports racers for the road. Would you mind sharing a few photos of yours? (Perhaps in a new post so we don’t completely hi-jack Rainer’s post).

I am now reading the Motorsport article for further inspiration as I hope to have my Europa on the road in a couple of weeks.

Welcome to the forum!

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,July 24, 2019, 08:38:18 AM »
 :Welcome: JohnMcL!

That Motor Sport Mag article made my day! Thanks for the inspiration.

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline GavinT

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,July 24, 2019, 09:11:51 AM »
Thanks for the Motorsport article.
I have the mag stored away somewhere with a ton of others but it's been decades since I read it.
This bit was interesting:

"The twin tanks are fitted one on each side of the engine compartment, tucked away in the corners, and a small switch in the cockpit selects the right-hand one or the left-hand one."

Was a switch in the cockpit standard for a twin tank set up?

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,July 24, 2019, 09:25:33 AM »
On the stock TC, the two tanks are connected via a plastic/nylon tube that is T'ed to get to the fuel pump and then up to the carbs. The stock TC did not have a switch to select which tank is used.

In a racing Europa might have a switch and that would make some sense for putting the weight on the side of the car that is more often on the inside of the track.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,July 24, 2019, 11:19:42 AM »
The car Denis drove was fitted with twin tanks after production.

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,July 24, 2019, 01:16:22 PM »
In a racing Europa might have a switch and that would make some sense for putting the weight on the side of the car that is more often on the inside of the track.

The car Denis was driving in the article was a LHD S2 road car with a second tank fitted which I believe was offered as an option for a while.

Offline Nockenwelle

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday,August 20, 2019, 11:40:19 AM »
Rainer, please check your messages.
Klaus