Author Topic: Types 78 & 79...Game changers  (Read 8665 times)

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
Types 78 & 79...Game changers
« on: Friday,April 12, 2019, 09:47:14 AM »
It's a pleasure to be starting a new thread.

The topic will be a retrospective of Colin Champan's revolutionary "ground effects" 

I hope your interest mirrors the activity similar to the other Lotus race types as the 49 and Type 72.

Plenty of memorable stories and race pictures in my library to share. Here's a sample to start...

Online BDA

Re: Types 78 & 79...Game changers
« Reply #1 on: Friday,April 12, 2019, 09:53:15 AM »
Great start to a new thread of more of Chunky's genius! Thanks, Lou!

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #2 on: Friday,April 12, 2019, 11:08:41 AM »
Great start to a new thread of more of Chunky's genius! Thanks, Lou!

Rather fitting to start with the type 78...and what could be better, to acknowledge the similar debut this car made at it's first race of 1978 in Argentina. Mario Andretti had tried to duplicate (Clark's) the first time out win, but fell to finish fifth. Lotus would have to wait only two more weekends to   show it's potential, on the streets of Long Beach.   

The season would be a bumpy one, learning to cope with the new design and managing the tires to suit.
This car got everyone in the paddock to turn their heads and re think their future iteration's.     
« Last Edit: Saturday,April 13, 2019, 05:06:22 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Online BDA

« Reply #3 on: Friday,April 12, 2019, 08:20:35 PM »
In spite of it's ups and downs, it was a rocket. Mario won more races than anyone that year but unfortunately, he dnf'd enough that he didn't win the championship. The face of things to come!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #4 on: Monday,April 15, 2019, 09:05:13 AM »
Another cool thread, Lou. Cheers.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Arizona

« Reply #5 on: Monday,April 15, 2019, 10:12:12 AM »
Thanks for the memories Lou. I (vaguely) remember seeing these cars at the Glen. Back then I was living a couple hours drive south of the Glen in PA and would attend the 6 Hours and the USGP.
George F. Johnson

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #6 on: Monday,April 15, 2019, 04:20:52 PM »
Thanks for the memories Lou. I (vaguely) remember seeing these cars at the Glen. Back then I was living a couple hours drive south of the Glen in PA and would attend the 6 Hours and the USGP.

You're welcome, Arizona!

A brief summary of the type 78...A total of five chassis were constructed, in which four were actually raced. Their designation was JPS15 78/1 thru JPS18 78/4....78/3 was the factory static mule. Entered into fifty four Grand Prix events, with seven victories.

Team drivers Mario Andretti and Gunnar Nillson, and Mario with Ronnie Peterson in 1978-79.
 Chassis 78/1 was subsequently sold following the end of it's first season to Hector Rebaque of Mexico. This chassis continued to be very competitive in the Aurora AFX series in later years. Raced by the likes of Emilio Vilotta, Norm Dickson, Gianfranco Brancatelli and Desire Wilson.

« Last Edit: Monday,April 15, 2019, 04:24:04 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #7 on: Friday,April 26, 2019, 12:42:12 PM »
Paint it black...

A special one time deal from Imperial tobacco had Gunnar's Lotus in red for Japan in 77.

DeVilotta's mount during the  AFX series was a colorful banana yellow.

Rebaque's...well, although very unique, I can't recall another race car ever be painted brown.     

Online BDA

« Reply #8 on: Friday,April 26, 2019, 01:44:42 PM »
Great pictures of 78s in colors you don't usually see, Lou!

I can't recall any brown race cars either but it reminded me that it used to be a superstition that race cars shouldn't be black or with the number '0.' Lotus and JPS obviously dispelled the former. I believe there was a UOP Shadow in the '70s in F1 (or was it F5000?) that was numbered '0'.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #9 on: Friday,April 26, 2019, 01:58:08 PM »

I can't recall any brown race cars either but it reminded me that it used to be a superstition that race cars shouldn't be black or with the number '0.' Lotus and JPS obviously dispelled the former. I believe there was a UOP Shadow in the '70s in F1 (or was it F5000?) that was numbered '0'.
I believe it was a strongly held superstition at Indy that it was gravely bad luck to paint a race car green. Lotus flew in the face of that one, too.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #10 on: Friday,May 17, 2019, 06:22:23 PM »
With the type 78 now formally introduced in this thread, my first post of the 79 will take a little twist.
Rather than describing it's debut and subsequent development, we fast forward to when a journeyman pilot was asked to fill in for the departed Ronnie Peterson.

Jean Pierre Jarier, 1973 F2 champion for March BMW, and whose formula one exploits included stints with March, Shadow, ATS, Tyrell and finally Osella was contracted for the last two North American races for Lotus at the end of the season. Lucky for me, I caught both events track side.

I mention this because Jarier, although experienced, was considered a midfield finisher at best with only one podium to his credit at that time. His performance at Watkins Glen, and in the pouring rain at the Ile de Notre Dame were spectacular.

Having qualified fifteenth at the Glen, a steady drive with some impressive moves were undone as his engine failed while running third in the late stages. To the surprise of everyone, he blitzed the field in terrible conditions to take pole in Canada. Mario not to be second fiddle, complained of lack of grip, but gave kudos to "Jumper" as his personal set up was also being used. Not known for his ability to master the wet, his race was perfectly paced, leading comfortably for the first forty nine laps.

An oil leak forced his retirement while leading, and drove home the assumption that the 79 was indeed a formidable championship chassis. For the first time in his career, Jarier finally had the equipment, grit and talent to show he belonged . 
« Last Edit: Friday,May 17, 2019, 08:37:20 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Online BDA

« Reply #11 on: Friday,May 17, 2019, 09:05:18 PM »
Thanks Lou, I remember "Jumper" Jarier but I think I was so much more interested in Ronnie's death and Mario's championship, that I didn't pay much attention to him. I looked up "Jumper Jarier" and found everything about him. He was apparently good enough to be in Formula 1 for ten consecutive years, sometimes for some top tier teams but unfortunately not good enough (and luck could have played a role) to get a win.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,May 22, 2019, 08:14:32 AM »
Very interesting Lou, I had no idea of this little bit of Lotus race history. It must have been sorely disappointing to be performing so well and have mechanical failures bring you to a halt. Especially the phenomenal performance in Canada.

Trevor

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #13 on: Monday,June 24, 2019, 01:44:11 PM »
We seem to forget that not too long ago...

An F1 tire was to last the distance, a critical combination of driver and selected compound was to see you through the entire race. The practice sessions were the time to decide your tire option.

Mario seems to have found the limit...as the right side have just been swapped out. 

Online BDA

« Reply #14 on: Monday,June 24, 2019, 01:48:06 PM »
Times (and F1) certainly have changed!