Author Topic: Centre console  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Gmg31

Centre console
« on: Sunday,March 12, 2017, 04:19:26 PM »
I fit the new Banks centre console today.  I'm guessing the choke and heater cable bracket bolts all the way through to the tunnel. I put a rivet nut in the console and just mounted it to the console and it worked fine.  Any reason why not?

Also how does the arm rest pad fix on? No clue right now.  Photos would be great please.

Thanks G

Online BDA

Re: Centre console
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,March 12, 2017, 05:57:04 PM »
Assuming the S2 is similar to the TC in this regard, the frame has holes where you bolt the mount for the heater and choke cables. This gives a bit more solid mounting for that (which is also the front mounting of the arm rest) and also provides a ground for the light that lights the area of the cable knobs (and maybe some other things).

On my TC, the arm rest was originally affixed with a plastic sort of rivet. They got broken regularly and many people put stickers on their arm rest admonishing people not to try to lift it (to see what must be another storage compartment). I'd say you're on your on on attaching yours. I used Velcro on mine and it works pretty well so far. If you need a picture, I'll be glad to provide one.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Monday,March 13, 2017, 12:20:01 AM »
I'll second BDA's comments regarding the cable attachments, bolting through into the tunnel stiffens up the assembly and without it I could imagine the console moving as you pull the cables. 

I fixed the pad on my Banks' console with 3 trim clips which push into holes in similar fashion to the original, but having read the previous posts I reckon velcro is the way forward.

Brian

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #3 on: Monday,March 13, 2017, 03:07:25 PM »
Thanks. gents very helpful.

Online BDA

« Reply #4 on: Monday,March 13, 2017, 07:37:34 PM »
One thing we didn't mention is that there are supposed to be spacers the thickness of the insulation (~1/2") on the bolts that hold down the cable mount and console.

Offline Europa73

« Reply #5 on: Friday,March 17, 2017, 06:12:27 AM »
Hi,

below are some pics of inside the tunnel, the bracket and spacers.

to be honest - not sure if the choke and heater cables should or should not be routed in the above smaller holes though.

Perhaps someone else could comment on that part.

Cheers,
also restoring 69 Elan +2 and driving a 1975 TR6

Offline 2483R

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,March 18, 2017, 03:17:37 PM »
Those plastic clips which hold the armrest pad to the console are junk. They always break whenever you remove the armrest.

I agree with BDA, Velcro is the way to go. I have tried several different ways to hold the armrest pad to the console, here is some pictures of my latest. Just some scrap ¾ inch plywood glued and screwed to the bottom of the armrest. The Velcro I bought at the dollar store for a dollar.

I use some scrap carpet padding under the armrest to help reduce the heat and noise which tends to come up from the center frame tunnel.

BDA, I don’t have a light for my heater/choke knobs. Is something found on later Specials as I have an early TC?

Online BDA

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,March 18, 2017, 06:50:15 PM »
Judging from the TC/TCS workshop manual, it is on all TCs. It's on page M-12 of the workshop manual. I wasn't able to find it in the parts manual. That's not to say it's not there, just that I couldn't find it. My car is farily late (3635R) so of course it has it. The bulb is very small and it fits in a plastic socket, IIRC. If you still have the mounting bracket for the heater and choke cables, there should be a slot between where the cables mount. That's where the light comes out. There should also be a clip that holds the bulb and socket so it shines out of the slot.

Offline 2483R

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,March 19, 2017, 07:29:16 AM »
Thanks for the reply BDA.

The manual does say (section M10) “Commencing at Chassis No. 72082684R, all cars destined for use in North America are fitted with control illumination”

Control illumination means a light at the heater choke/knobs and a light in the crashpad. As I have chassis 2483R, I do not a light at the heater choke/knobs nor crashpad.

Never knew this before. I assume if you replace the crashpad with a Banks fiberglass one you discard the factory light, if the car came with a crashpad light originally? As I don’t believe the Banks crashpad has a provision for a light.

Online BDA

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,March 19, 2017, 07:35:43 AM »
Good eye finding where the manual said the control illumination starts! I would suspect a clever and motivated person could figure a way to do it, but it sounds like you won't be tempted!  :)