Author Topic: TCS/Zetec/NG3 Conversion  (Read 12204 times)

Offline SwiftDB4

Re: TCS/Zetec/NG3 Conversion
« Reply #45 on: Saturday,December 10, 2016, 08:39:46 AM »
Thanks on the hub thickness. Only question I have is it would be necessary to cut the outer face of what you have cut down to allow for a separate rotor? Which would be about .250"? Still enough thickness if you can drill in the webs for studs, but not outside the webs?

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #46 on: Sunday,December 11, 2016, 09:53:39 AM »
swift-
Pics are of a Type 1 stub axle beside the shorter stub axle for type 2 CV. you can see the difference. Other pic is the type 2 short stub axle, with 2 stock thickness VW spacers, and a PVC center spacer. Measurement I got on the stock Lotus setup, inside bearing shoulder to hub face was 4.85. Measurement on the VW mockup pictured was 4.93. Oh- The threaded holes, for the VW lug bolts are in the web and are .5 deep.
YMMV on any measurements!
In the posts on the YH group, re: fitting banks twin link, Richard H moved everything out the 12mm difference of the NG3 to no ill effect.
As far as machining the outer face of the hub to accommodate the thickness of the rotor - it 'appears' by varying the thickness of the stub axle spacers, you should be able to put the face of the hub in the position you want.
I finished cutting the 2nd type 3 disc rotor down enough so I could measure the thickness between the webs, which is about .58
So, my aim is to go to NAPA, see what 12mm wheel studs are available with enough shank for the thickness of the hub. Hoping able to get studs with enough shank to be able to drill the 3/4" web, with a spot milled for stud to seat flush. Once I have those, can decide exactly how to proceed with the hub machining and placement of upper link & disc brake bracket.
From the thread on the YH group, you already have a  4 link rear suspension, do you have rear disc brake also? If so, I understand the importance of the hubs final position. I have a couple sets of caliper brackets, but don't know if  I'll end up being able to use them, have to wait and see
« Last Edit: Sunday,December 11, 2016, 09:55:53 AM by andy harwood »

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #47 on: Wednesday,January 04, 2017, 03:06:39 PM »
slight update.
transaxle mounts fitted and welded.
ended up using some superflex poly bushings.

Offline BDA

« Reply #48 on: Wednesday,January 04, 2017, 04:36:26 PM »
That's coming along really nicely, Andy!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #49 on: Wednesday,January 04, 2017, 09:52:46 PM »
If you went off the ears on the plate sandwiched between the rear cover and the main casings, it would be a lot stiffer.

Offline BDA

« Reply #50 on: Wednesday,January 04, 2017, 09:57:49 PM »
 :I-agree:

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #51 on: Thursday,January 05, 2017, 05:01:29 AM »
If you went off the ears on the plate sandwiched between the rear cover and the main casings, it would be a lot stiffer.
I knew this was going to be the response. A trip was planned to the sheet metal shop today anyhows, lol.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #52 on: Thursday,January 05, 2017, 08:55:11 AM »
Well I'll be damned, you did expect the Spanish Inquisition!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WJXHY2OXGE

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #53 on: Thursday,January 05, 2017, 04:29:57 PM »
Yes, I did expect bad reviews. The idea sounded good in my head, but with all the voices in there...
At least I didn't get the rack. And I've never been a Lumberjack, lol.

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #54 on: Friday,March 10, 2017, 02:55:11 PM »
After dodging the inquisition rack by the proverbial hair, thought I'd post a couple photos.
Since I've the Banks NG3 mounting kit, and some poly bushings - plus, wanting to keep frame modifications to a minimum, this is what I've come up with as a transaxle mount. Just have the cross bar and left side mocked up and tack welded so far.
Intending to use the Banks mounts kind of as intended - but they will just serve to limit any fore/aft movement, due to distance from rear hoop.  Any torsional movement will be transmitted to the poly bushings in the crossbar.
As long as I don't have to endure the rack, or sing the lumberjack song, I'd really appreciate input/ opinions on this setup.
Also, in 2nd pic, you can see the shock mount/crossbar that I made. Has a bit more steel than the original, and the center is removable.

Offline BDA

« Reply #55 on: Friday,March 10, 2017, 07:59:29 PM »
That looks great Andy! It looks like you wouldn't need the Banks style mounting - and your adaptation of that is really nice, too! You're pretty far down the road with this so you've probably considered this, but it would be nice if you could design a cross member that did double duty.

I'm really impressed with your designs!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #56 on: Friday,March 10, 2017, 10:29:00 PM »
Hi Andy,

I think your concept is excellent and certainly looks robust enough. My only comment would be about exhaust routing, but that's based entirely on my own car's exhaust as I have no idea how the conversions manage.  My exhaust hangs off the gearbox around that point so it would need a re-think for that set-up.

Having said that, a short length of flexible as used on modern cars, and mounting the silencer onto the chassis looks very possible on yours ?

Brian

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #57 on: Saturday,March 11, 2017, 04:21:25 AM »
Thanks for the approving comments.
BDA, after looking at what others did using a cross brace. and doing away with the rear loop, this is what I came up with. After cutting and fitting everything, I noticed that what you are suggesting may be possible, will give a look see. Thank you for suggesting this - it would
Brian, my car was fitted with a rather small, Flowmaster muffler. I was intending to keep it. By rotating it a bit, and relocating the inlet & outlets, "appears" it will fit. Originally. it was secured to the shock cross member.
I was, and will be using a Ford speedometer sending unit. It fit in the 365 tranxale, but not in the NG3. I've read that some have used a short length of aluminum tubing to adapt. That would have put it conflict with the rear hoop mounting bolts. The mounting section is a press fit, so I removed it, and reduced the diameter and cut a step into it. Then tapped the rear transaxle cover for a 1/4 x 24 bolt to secure the sending unit. It appears one ear on rear cover will need to be trimmed for fitment.

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #58 on: Monday,March 13, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »
Andy,
Are you using the Banks shift linkage kit? Is there a chance your solution is going to impinge on your shift rods? I have the same NG conversion using both the Banks rear hoop kit and the shift linkage kit.

This was my solution to the same problem

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #59 on: Monday,March 13, 2017, 05:09:17 PM »
Joe,
Thanks for the input.
I really like how you made the center section of the hoop removable, that's nice!.
Banks doesn't do the shift kit any more it seems, at least when I purchased the NG3. I was opting out for a cable shift system anyhows. I'm probably going to copy D. Anderson's method of attaching shifter cables to the rear cover shifter shaft.
After posting the above photos, and BDA's comment about using the shock mount crossbar as a mounting point for the transaxle, I'm looking at that. It appears doable.