Author Topic: A Pillar reinforcement  (Read 1629 times)

Offline StephenH

A Pillar reinforcement
« on: Monday,January 09, 2017, 12:31:22 AM »
Anyone got photos of how they went about reinforcing A Pillars.

I have a few suggestions and ideas, but want a few more before I commit to xyz material, glass and resin.

Thanks in advance.
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Offline Keith A

Re: A Pillar reinforcement
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,February 28, 2017, 05:11:56 PM »
Hi Stephen, apologies if this a little late, just saw your posting. I had two broken pillars on my '68 S2 when I bought her (See pics). I first removed the interior glued vinyl, sanded and buffed off the remaining glue and old dusty FG, I use carbon fibre cut into "L" shaped pieces and layered over "one, then two" 5 times. I kept the height and the tension using a bucket of sand and an adjustable strap around the body. I used one of those flexible applicators between the door and pillar to ensure the angle was correct too. finished off the surface with Bondo FG Resin Jelly, it sticks and sets hard, trimmed the FG and Jelly with my Dremel, both have come out strong and aligned, took the paint well too.

Hope it helps,
Cheers,  Keith
« Last Edit: Tuesday,February 28, 2017, 05:33:18 PM by Keith A »

Offline Mike Surber

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,March 15, 2017, 06:23:08 PM »
Are you speaking of actual reinforcements? Or repairs?

Offline StephenH

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,March 16, 2017, 11:22:42 AM »
Are you speaking of actual reinforcements? Or repairs?

Reinforcement, but as the screen will need to come out and a few nicks and cracks sorted out it will also be a repair :)
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Offline StephenH

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,March 16, 2017, 11:27:45 AM »
Hi Stephen, apologies if this a little late, just saw your posting

No problem Keith and the details and images appreciated.
As it happens I'm in the UK at the moment and earlier today visited Richard at Europa Engineering.
He kindly showed me his method of using fibreglass rope glassed over to extend the radius inwards from the door seal towards the windscreen.
Seems to work well and I will be investigating when I get home.
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,March 16, 2017, 11:48:07 AM »
Stephen,
Do you have any photo's of Richards reinforcement?  I keep looking at my windscreen pillars and think I should reinforce them (they have a slight curve to them).

Rod

Offline Mike Surber

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,March 16, 2017, 04:29:05 PM »
I haven't gotten to mine yet (well one I did but going to do it differently before I'm done). I've looked at them & there's enough room inside. To place a piece of 1/2" EMT (electrical metallic tubing)or aluminum tubing. Even a piece of PVC water/electrical pipe in the space (doing the same thing as using the rope as a "filler". But will be even more structural & ridged. Then FG over & it will have a slight radius to it. That can either be finished & painted (what I intend to do) & look pretty "factory I think (I never liked the cheesy glued on vinyl). One the one that I did do. I used a piece of ridged foam insulation board. Shaped it to fit in the pillar. Sanded it to a nice radius & glassed over. Even that then forms a "tube" if you will of a different shape yes. Sort of triangular. But a closed triangular shape "tube" it still stronger than an "L" or angle piece. As is the basic shape of the pillar.

Offline StephenH

« Reply #7 on: Friday,March 17, 2017, 08:00:51 AM »
Stephen,
Do you have any photo's of Richards reinforcement?

Sorry, no.
But if you read Mike's description below of 'one he did previously' it might make sense.
Basic idea of building up a hollow section that starts off extending the radius from the door seal back towards the screen, then pulls in to leave enough room for the windscreen seal. So you end up with a curved, roughly triangular tube reinforcement.

On inserting additional material, Richard made the case that adding steel or other rigid material inside the pillar might just give you an additional risk in the event of a crash. Perhaps poking you in the eye with a sharp stick if you like.
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Offline Mike Surber

« Reply #8 on: Friday,March 17, 2017, 10:46:23 AM »
I took a couple of pictures for illustration of the reinforcing. I would suggest that the fear about something ridged (metal?) in the pillar. If you get hit from the side hard enough to dislodge it. Then the A pillar is the least of your worries. First pic is the one I already did with ridged foam sheet (could probably be done with that insulation foam in a can too). The others are a piece of 1/2" copper water pipe which could/should be bent slightly the conform to the pillar curve.

Offline StephenH

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,March 18, 2017, 10:11:44 AM »
Thanks Mike  :beerchug:
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Offline Mike Surber

« Reply #10 on: Sunday,March 19, 2017, 08:11:44 PM »
No problem Stephen. As they say a picture's worth a thousand words. Some members may never have seen their Europa "naked" before LOL. Just don't realize those A pillars are just a piece of fiberglass angle.