Author Topic: Cushioned washers  (Read 841 times)

Offline Gmg31

Cushioned washers
« on: Sunday,March 19, 2017, 06:25:06 AM »
A noticed a while ago that fastening anything directly to or though the body shell is potentially difficult and risks damaging the fibre glass now that they are so old and a little brittle.  An eBay search resulted in these beauties.  They are galvanised roofing washers with one side being rubber. Fastantstic very very cheap and in three sizes.

Offline andy harwood

Re: Cushioned washers
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,March 19, 2017, 10:47:47 AM »
Now that's a great idea, thanks for the tip!

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

• Europa Special 74, Elan Sprint 73
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,March 19, 2017, 03:44:54 PM »
Good call   :beerchug:

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,March 19, 2017, 05:54:03 PM »
It is a nice idea, but I may have solved a slightly different problem I have from a thought that came to me from this idea. I bought Bank's engine cover strut kit. Richard said it would work for TCs and not just S2s. Well, kind of. The early TCs don't have the Rube Goldberg shoulder belt strut system that the later TCs (mine) has so that shoulder belt strut system is in the way of mounting a part of the boot lid gas strut system. What is worse is the forward attachment of that part of the gas strut system is bolted to the rain gutter at the corner of the boot. I suppose that on the S2s, that area is flat but on the TCs, it is not so bolting anything there will likely damage the fiberglass. I'm going to try to make something that conforms to the curves of my rain gutter by using some left over closed-cell neoprene foam that I used on my frame with a wide washer [/size](similar idea to those padded washers). Hopefully, that will be stiff enough but giving enough to afford a fairly solid mount.

Thanks for the idea!