Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168460 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #495 on: Thursday,February 01, 2018, 05:13:03 PM »
Certified,
Rear side markers filling in , what do you have planned???
What is the shops target date? All looking great from the pics and I hope they don’t find to many unexpected surprises.
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #496 on: Thursday,February 01, 2018, 05:51:26 PM »
Dakazman, I’m deleting all the side marker lights and the antenna hole. I did the same on my Black Exige S as I like the cleaner lines. The small design changes make all the difference.

I’m hoping for early summer completion of painting.
« Last Edit: Saturday,February 03, 2018, 03:45:46 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #497 on: Friday,February 02, 2018, 08:47:55 AM »
yes, clean lines, but to each their own I guess.    Actually, I like the visibility, especially side view, for safety reasons, but also the entirety of the lighting.   At early evening before dusk, I like driving with my parking lights on.   It make for a good photography moment as well, seeing all those lights on.    I like lights, but again, that's why they make vanilla AND chocolate! :)
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline dakazman

« Reply #498 on: Friday,February 02, 2018, 04:48:01 PM »
Certified,
I was thinking about doing the same thing , you now have the option to add any style light , or none as you see fit .
I remember inspection stations up there .I now enjoy Florida’s no inspection policy however the police write tickets very fast. No hood , that’s fine .. no doors that’s ok, old blind people, that’s also fine.
Loud exhaust or light out 4 tickets by the time you get home.

Dakazman
Only kidding about the old blind people.😀

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #499 on: Friday,February 02, 2018, 05:06:30 PM »
Dakazman I doubt the local police know that a Lotus Europa should even have side lights. My Elan never had them. My 2007 track prepped Exige S had them removed and anytime I got stopped (never got a ticket, the cops just wanted to look at the car. They couldn’t believe it was street legal) it was never questioned.

With historic plates, inspection is once and done (with photos).

Ted, I think I have driven my 64 Elan twice in the last three years in the dark. These cars are not “daily drivers”. And you know me well enough to know that I march to the beat of a different drummer. I build my cars they way I want them to look and perform.
« Last Edit: Saturday,February 03, 2018, 03:44:47 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline buzzer

« Reply #500 on: Friday,February 02, 2018, 11:58:28 PM »
I think the colour of the car has more to do with it than those silly reflectors.
No requirement to have those reflectors here and we have the safest roads in Europe.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #501 on: Saturday,February 03, 2018, 10:29:29 AM »
Painted the bearing carriers this morning in preparation for assembly with new bearings.

Also got my tool and parts bag back from having a couple of Lotus patches sewn on (they sewed them crooked but didnt charge me. It’s going in the boot so it’s not highly visible). I have one of these for my Elan too. They are nice to store the jack, some hand tools, an extra fan belt, quart of oil and an oil filter (at least that’s what I put in them).

Offline BDA

« Reply #502 on: Saturday,February 03, 2018, 02:08:23 PM »
I like the tool bag and from your picture, any misalignment isn't noticeable.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #503 on: Sunday,February 04, 2018, 05:36:07 AM »
Installation of bearings, spacer and seal in the hub bearing carrier went easily.  The bearings dropped right in and the seal required pressing in.  After thinking about it a bit more figured I needed to go back and use some Loctite to adhere the bearing to the hub (I was concerned they should not be able to spin inside the hub housing).

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #504 on: Sunday,February 04, 2018, 06:59:09 AM »
that's an interesting press there Glen.   non-hydraulic and all muscle?   what's the tonnage comparison to hydraulic?   have you ever been unable to use it effectively?
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #505 on: Sunday,February 04, 2018, 07:38:52 AM »
If the bearings are slip in fit with absolutely no play, then it's fine to use loctite to secure them.  If the bearings are at all loose in their bores, then you will have to have the uprights machined and sleeved.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #506 on: Sunday,February 04, 2018, 08:00:13 AM »
that's an interesting press there Glen.   non-hydraulic and all muscle?   what's the tonnage comparison to hydraulic?   have you ever been unable to use it effectively?

Arbor press Ted. The gearing in it creates the proper leverage. I use it for pressing seals and bearing fits that are delicate. The problem with a hydraulic press (without a gauge) is you don’t realize the amount of force your using until it’s too late.

Old school equipment but works very well!
« Last Edit: Sunday,February 04, 2018, 09:38:13 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #507 on: Sunday,February 04, 2018, 08:02:37 AM »
If the bearings are slip in fit with absolutely no play, then it's fine to use loctite to secure them.  If the bearings are at all loose in their bores, then you will have to have the uprights machined and sleeved.

JB, no play the bore is true. Used Loctite bearing mount 620.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #508 on: Sunday,February 04, 2018, 11:53:26 AM »
You'll be just fine.

Remember when removing bearings to push them out square and true.  If you just wail on one side with a punch, the bearing goes out crooked and ovals the bore.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #509 on: Sunday,February 04, 2018, 02:19:29 PM »
You'll be just fine.

Remember when removing bearings to push them out square and true.  If you just wail on one side with a punch, the bearing goes out crooked and ovals the bore.

Interesting you would say that JB. I have never removed a bearing with a punch. Always use a socket or a piece of metal pipe if I have the right size. Also have a rather extensive bearing puller kit. And I have been known to use a piece of metal bar that fits across the outer race if I'm in a jam.  Something always fits.....but I never use a punch (this is recognizing that I have an abor press and a hydraulic press).
« Last Edit: Sunday,February 04, 2018, 02:21:15 PM by Certified Lotus »