Poll

Interest in buying seat frames

All 18 ga. CRS
All aluminum 16 ga (cost of material is 400% more than steel)
Composite of aluminum and steel

Author Topic: Lotus Europa TC Special Seats  (Read 10929 times)

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
Re: Lotus Europa TC Special Seats
« Reply #30 on: Monday,June 13, 2016, 12:37:31 PM »
I generally use 100% as it works faster and have smaller tupperware bins for different jobs.  And like I mentioned, it lasts for years, but it does get dirty.  When I'm doing engine blocks and bigger items where I need a higher acid level to submerge the entire part, I have added no more than 1:1 and it still cuts fairly quickly.  Contractors who use this stuff to clean stains off of concrete will go as much as 7:1 from what I understand.  My recommendation would be to use it 100% if you are just doing smaller parts like front uprights, brake drums, flywheels, etc.  And when you are finished, just pour it back in the container it came in and store in a cool place.  Make sure you seal it tightly as vapours from this will flash rush anything bare metal within a 2 feet radius.  I have a small quart sized plastic jar that I keep on my workbench for small stuff like nuts, bolts, washers, etc., and tie them to some mechanics wire and dip them in for a day and they come out like new.  But just like JB mentions, respect the product and you'll be fine.  Have fun, Allan

Offline 3929R

« Reply #31 on: Monday,June 13, 2016, 03:04:04 PM »
Muriatic acid will also remove galvanization, which may or may not be desirable.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
« Reply #32 on: Monday,June 13, 2016, 04:33:07 PM »
LOL, if the part is rusted, I doubt the galvanization is any good anymore.  Just saying.   

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
« Reply #33 on: Monday,June 20, 2016, 12:47:16 PM »
First round of prototypes are out and I love when a plan comes together.  Surprisingly it all fitted together on the first try and nothing fought me or was designed incorrectly.  All the hours playing with my Gilbert Erector sets as a child has finally paid off lol.  But here are my notes. Assembly was easy and straight forward it it will go together and is very rigid with just the rivets.  I made some rivet holes slightly larger or slotted one panel where I thought there could be some minor misalignment, but it all fell in place perfectly.  The most difficult part was the two small shoulder indents which had very complicated bends in different directions and and different angles and even these went together without any issues. You will still have to weld in the rear seat track nuts or use a rivnut which ever would be easier.  No other welding is needed, but the top flanges could be welded together with a mig.  These are the top 0.375 flange that is on the lower sides, the shoulder indents, and the headrest.  Otherwise, it could be used as is as it is that rigid.  Total weight of the seat is about 11-12 pounds which is the same as the original.  Please do not ask me about price yet as I still have to work out the numbers with the sheet metal factory but it will be whatever they charge plus boxing materials.  I just don't want to buy too many and have them kicking around my garage forever.  And doubt I will be making anymore after my initial run.  I am still inspecting the proto for size, fit and function, but should be cutting metal soon.  But at first glance, everything looks right, from the width, height, seatback angles, and track holes.  Thanks for the support and tell me what you think, good or bad as anything can be made better and I am open to suggestions.   Thanks Allan 
« Last Edit: Monday,June 20, 2016, 12:50:06 PM by Gearbox »

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #34 on: Monday,June 20, 2016, 02:07:33 PM »
That seat looks great!  If they were for an S2 I'd be after a pair in knocked down form.  What thickness of steel did you use?

Rod

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
« Reply #35 on: Monday,June 20, 2016, 02:20:56 PM »
Hey Rod;

Thank you, I'm very happy with them.  I used what the factory used, 18 ga. CRS or 0.047" thick steel.  Very robust and more solid using rivets than my original seats lol.  Richard Banks told me that he only makes the S2 seats and that they were interchangeable.  The foam and upholstery were the same on both in terms of size and dimensions.  I originally wanted to buy a set from him, but he didn't have any.  After repeated and unanswered calls and emails, I decided it was time to make my own.  I don't mind paying for parts if available, but when not, I usually make my own.  I think it stems from some childhood trauma I had that compels me towards instant gratification lol.  Thanks again Allan

Offline StrawberryCheesecake

« Reply #36 on: Thursday,June 23, 2016, 06:32:56 AM »
Hi Allan,

Are you still planning to get a batch of these made? Have you got any indication on costs yet?

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
« Reply #37 on: Friday,June 24, 2016, 07:16:53 PM »
Working on it.  Trying a couple of ways of getting these things out to you guys for the lowest cost.  Will post when successful but it will happen.  Thanks Allan 

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #38 on: Sunday,June 26, 2016, 05:44:32 PM »
I would be nterested in two tc seats depending on the cost.

Great job!

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday,August 10, 2016, 09:41:15 PM »
Hi All;

Sorry for the delay, but real work and LOG 36 got in the way.  Good news is that I made a deal with Ray at RD Enterprises, I was able to order a much higher quantity which lowered costs much more than the few that I was going to originally make.  Bottom line is that even with his profit margin, it would come out cheaper for anyone who needs the seats.  Like I said, I'm not making a dime and happy to do the work to help out the community, plus I love making shit.  Ray on the other hand has to make a living, so this was the best compromise and saves me from finding boxes and running down to UPS.  So if you have a rusted out seat frame like I did, and want to keep it original, this is a great option.  I don't plan on making anymore so give Ray a call before he runs out.  BTW LOG 36 was fantastic, 250 plus cars and it didn't rain lol.  Thanks Allan
« Last Edit: Wednesday,August 10, 2016, 09:44:41 PM by Gearbox »

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #40 on: Thursday,August 11, 2016, 10:13:24 AM »
I would still like two in aluminium please.

Steel would be too heavy to ship over economically.

Alex in Norfolk.

« Reply #41 on: Monday,August 15, 2016, 02:21:00 AM »
Hi All;

Sorry for the delay, but real work and LOG 36 got in the way.  Good news is that I made a deal with Ray at RD Enterprises, I was able to order a much higher quantity which lowered costs much more than the few that I was going to originally make.  Bottom line is that even with his profit margin, it would come out cheaper for anyone who needs the seats.  Like I said, I'm not making a dime and happy to do the work to help out the community, plus I love making shit.  Ray on the other hand has to make a living, so this was the best compromise and saves me from finding boxes and running down to UPS.  So if you have a rusted out seat frame like I did, and want to keep it original, this is a great option.  I don't plan on making anymore so give Ray a call before he runs out.  BTW LOG 36 was fantastic, 250 plus cars and it didn't rain lol.  Thanks Allan

Hi Allan

Have you still got your drawings? Maybe we can find someone in the UK to make them, rather than pay shipping and tax. No issue with RDent making a living, but the taxman takes a hefty cut.

« Reply #42 on: Monday,August 22, 2016, 01:43:08 AM »
I found out about these on the Europa Facebook group.. might be a UK option. Don't think they're designed to fit the standard foam and trim though. £350 a pair seems quite reasonable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Bucket-Seat-Lotus-Europa-Pair-Kit-car-Track-Drift-/151876027243

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
« Reply #43 on: Monday,August 22, 2016, 07:13:51 AM »
Hi Strawberry;

Yes, those seats look nice and well made (wish I could Tig like that), but you are correct that they are not original seats and I can't see how you would be able to trim them out to look like the original TCS seat.  I understand the concern with shipping and customs, and often beg my UK suppliers to mark the packages as used vintage car parts and I would arrange shipping from Transglobal Express in the UK which I had found to be as much as half the price, but still using UPS, Fed Ex, etc.  Currently Ray and I are working on getting a good supplier in the UK to make them there.  I won't go into the trails and tribulations of sheet metal fabrication, but every factory will have different bend reductions and the drawings and flats will have to be dialed in for that specific manufacturer.  I designed these seats to be shipped flat, easily assembled by almost anyone with common hand tools, and that they exactly replicate the original seats.  But like everything in life, it is a trade off.  The 0.125" rivet holes are 0.140" and some care has to be given in construction as the 0.013" freeplay does not seem much, it can distort dimensions given the number of rivets involved.  103 as of my last count.  A misalignment of a fraction of a degree can translate to over 1/2" over a 12" span.  That's why when I made them, I used a known factory to me, and still had to make a few test shots before going into production.  The critical dimension would be the seat tracks which have to be 17.5" across.  I had made several so far and they fit perfectly and the slides glide with no issues.  Currently working on the foam and will let you know how that comes out. 

I am sure Ray's prices will be less expensive than the 350 GBP a pair, but it would be the shipping and VAT costs that you are concerned about.  Not sure where we are with finding a UK supplier, but Ray is reaching out to all his contacts.  But in the meanwhile, I expect the shipping box to be about 10 Kg., 79 x 54 x 8 CM.  I just looked on the Transglobal site and their costs range from 68 GBP to 100 depending upon the shipper.  So maybe a call to Ray would be worth while, and perhaps working out a deal with him?  Let me know how you make out, Thanks Allan

Offline Paul_71

« Reply #44 on: Monday,August 22, 2016, 09:31:08 AM »
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know where to source the cushion fabric on S2 seats? It is the black fabric with small indents within the surface. Or at least know the part number/name of this type.
Thanks.
0261R - Restoration in progress