Author Topic: New UK Member living in the US.  (Read 21519 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: New UK Member living in the US.
« Reply #30 on: Monday,February 01, 2016, 02:57:37 PM »
In a S2 tank, the fuel pickup pipe make two 90 degree bends, the first where it enters the tank, bends down 90 degrees to the bottom of the tank and then another 90 degrees horizontally where it follows the bottom of the tank where it open ends mid way about 1/8" off the bottom. It would be difficult to stick a stiff enough wire past two 90 degree bends to push out the obstruction.

I would remove the tank, remove the fuel sending unit and look inside the tank to see the condition of the tank bottom. With a long enough pick, you may be able to poke out the obstruction from the end of the pipe. For chemical removal, you might try soaking the bottom of the tank with CLR or coca cola.

« Last Edit: Monday,February 01, 2016, 04:59:32 PM by Grumblebuns »

Offline 3929R

« Reply #31 on: Monday,February 01, 2016, 04:02:30 PM »
How about soaking it with something that will dissolve gasoline varnish? I think PB Blaster is more for rust and corrosion. Same with CLR and Coke which are acids, not chemical solvents?
Maybe denatured alcohol? Lacquer thinner? Carb cleaner (the kind in the gallon can for submerging parts)? MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) from a paint store? Acetone? Just beware you don't dissolve any rubber or plastic parts.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #32 on: Monday,February 01, 2016, 05:03:34 PM »
I'm thinking of doing a combination of rust remover and then a solvent to remove the varnish. The first thing is to open up the tank and see how bad the corrosion is, then go from there. You can only do a mechanical cleaning of the pipe for only a very short distance at the outlet (see picture). Anything more may require a boil out of the tank.

Offline Paul_71

« Reply #33 on: Tuesday,February 02, 2016, 10:50:04 AM »
Thanks everyone - great advice.

So I removed the tank last night, which was a challenge in itself trying to cut the rusted fuel tank bolts from inside the FG body. Looking inside there was a lot of gunk and even some small branches.  :-\

I took it down to my local "Mr Radiator" and he's going to clean the tank and sort the feed pipe out. There was a bit of surface rust on the tank which I didn't want to take any chances on. Also gave him the radiator to recondition.

I'll report back once I know the issue.

0261R - Restoration in progress

Offline Paul_71

« Reply #34 on: Saturday,February 13, 2016, 08:11:50 PM »
Update:
So I'm beginning to learn the difficulties to get replacement parts here in the US.
Found the chassis to be bodged together at the front and in need of a replacement. Big disappointment.
Suspension, steering and brakes are all being dismantled, some restored and replaced where necessary.
Have a trip back to the UK planned in the next few weeks and wondering what clothes to sacrifice for suitcase space!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #35 on: Sunday,February 14, 2016, 09:51:14 AM »
I had great hopes when disassembling mine and they were similarly dashed.  I managed to find a used chassis not too far away (13 hours).  Put up wanted posts on this forum and also on the Europa Yahoo list.  That's how I found mine and I had several to choose from.

Offline Paul_71

« Reply #36 on: Sunday,February 14, 2016, 11:40:13 AM »
Thanks jbcollier. Appreciate the advice. I've posted in the wanted section and will keep my eyes and ears open for parts.
I keep reminding myself it's a fairly simple car and not that much can go wrong. As I'm finding out daily, it's not the case!

Offline Paul_71

« Reply #37 on: Saturday,March 19, 2016, 08:42:26 PM »
An update on my last few weeks.

I had originally hoped my car was in a better condition than I first thought. The front section of the frame had been damaged from a previous crash which the previous guy had covered up. (probably why it has done less than 500 miles since '78). The T section was being held onto the main backbone with little more than rust. Once the body was lifted it was clear this was not safe. It was hanging off. I managed to get a new frame and a few other bits from a very nice guy off this forum.
So Ive spent the last few weeks moving the parts across, restoring bits, buying more new bits and generally trying to rebuild the car from pretty much the ground up.
The body has almost been stripped of parts and needs some TLC where the damaged front end has been repaired. It will soon go off to the painters for a new coat of paint. Going to go back to the original red colour.

I have also decided that since it is all in bits I will do a RHD conversion and get it all ready for the return to the UK next year.

I've attached a few pictures of the current state.

Offline BDA

« Reply #38 on: Sunday,March 20, 2016, 05:51:34 AM »
That looks like a pretty decent start for your project, Paul! Are you keeping it stock or do you have some mods planned?

Good luck!

:lotus:

Offline Paul_71

« Reply #39 on: Sunday,March 20, 2016, 07:25:24 AM »
Keeping it stock. Or at least that's the idea. The basement is full of new parts to go on it and eager to get them on. Long way to go as the body needs sorting.

Offline Paul_71

« Reply #40 on: Friday,April 08, 2016, 11:16:56 AM »
Wheels restored and straightened.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #41 on: Friday,April 08, 2016, 11:28:18 AM »
It cost me about £60 = $100 for each Lotus alloy I got restored, but they look better than two new ones I managed to buy.

Offline Paul_71

« Reply #42 on: Friday,April 08, 2016, 03:03:27 PM »
Mine were $110 each, which I thought was pretty good.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #43 on: Friday,April 08, 2016, 10:37:42 PM »
Those Cosmics look great, someone's spent a lot on time on those.  Given how much you paid, that's got to be a great deal.

How's the rest of the car coming along these days ?

Brian

Offline Paul_71

« Reply #44 on: Saturday,April 09, 2016, 06:11:28 AM »
Car is coming on slowly. The body preparation is taking time and learning as I go along. Frame is pretty much good to go, except for the transfer pipes which I'm trying to source. Engine and gearbox assembly to frame is waiting on pipes.

Still living in hope this car can be back on the road before the summer is out.