Author Topic: Heater water supply tubes  (Read 106 times)

Offline Bullnose

Heater water supply tubes
« on: Tuesday,March 26, 2024, 06:49:47 AM »
I have to replace the steel water supply tubes in my barn find chassis. No surprise that they had developed some perforations.
I purchased 4 ft lengths of hydraulic steel tube with a .060" wall so they should last for about 100 years based on the .037" wall ones taking about 50 years to rust through.
The question is should I shorten the ends of the tubes where they enter the engine bay to match the original length - about 6" or use all the tube and follow the chassis shape for about 14" .
The longer length would put the steel to rubber hose transition just aft of where the radius arms attach.
My reason for doing this would be to make the steel to rubber transition point - ie the hose clamp - more easily accessible.
I have the disadvantage of not ever seeing my car together or seeing another Europa locally to spot any potential conflicts with other bits of hardware.
Suggestions welcome - thanks
Grant
Grant

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Heater water supply tubes
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,March 26, 2024, 07:06:47 AM »
I would keep the steel pipe lengths the same. Too long and they will hit things in the engine compartment. They are that length for a good reason.

Offline jbcollier

Re: Heater water supply tubes
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,March 26, 2024, 07:20:02 AM »
Don't recall the heater connections being difficult to get at.