Author Topic: PayPal currency conversion, GBP to USD  (Read 257 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

PayPal currency conversion, GBP to USD
« on: Sunday,February 21, 2021, 02:19:59 PM »
Question to any UK forum members. I was recently sent payment by a forum member for a 365 spacer he needed via PayPal. The PayPal payment I received was in GBP. Every other previous transaction from UK members was in USD. Anyone know if PayPal automatically converts currency  for the receiving party or is there an extra step done during the payment process.

Joji Tokumoto     

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: PayPal currency conversion, GBP to USD
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,February 21, 2021, 11:00:32 PM »
Hi Joji,

It's such a long time since I sent money to anyone (I think the last was John for one of his repro handbooks) but I don't recall doing anything special. That was for US$ and I just put that amount in the box and then clicked "send".  My default is obviously GBP so I think I had to select US$.  Sounds like a simple mistake at the UK end ?

Brian

Offline pboedker

« Reply #2 on: Monday,February 22, 2021, 01:34:39 AM »
<snip> Anyone know if PayPal automatically converts currency  for the receiving party or is there an extra step done during the payment process.

I recently was in the same situation and was sent a message from PayPal, that I had received an amount in GBP, but my PayPal account wasn't in GBP (I normally use it for DKK and USD, but this time I asked the buyer for a GBP amount). The payment was pending, and I had to log into PayPal to accept it and accept it to be converted to USD. If I remember correctly, I also had to add the GBP currency as part of that.
No problem, just a tiny bit of work.  ^-^
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Monday,February 22, 2021, 06:00:34 AM »
With the relatively small amount of money involved with this transaction, I decided to explore this part of PayPal that never encountered before. I logged into my PayPal account and declined the transfer. This opened up another page that allowed me a choice either to convert and accept the transfer in US currency, accept the transfer in GBP in a separate account or totally decline the transfer. A roundabout way of doing a simple conversion but as Peter noted, a couple of extra steps, nothing onerous. I'll know what to do next time this happens.

Joji Tokumoto     
« Last Edit: Monday,February 22, 2021, 06:10:12 AM by Grumblebuns »