Author Topic: Resurrecting 3923R  (Read 1890 times)

Offline jbcollier

Re: Resurrecting 3923R
« Reply #15 on: Saturday,January 25, 2020, 09:12:17 AM »
If the flywheel surface is otherwise smooth with no scoring nor "blue" spots, you can just use 80 grit sandpaper to clear off the rust.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #16 on: Sunday,January 26, 2020, 05:08:37 AM »
What is the story behind the toothed/timing belt driving the water pump? I've never seen that setup before. Properly sized, I suppose it would put less stress on the water pump bearings.
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #17 on: Sunday,January 26, 2020, 06:21:09 AM »
Bean and others sold/carry it.  Belt is not "tight" but no slipping.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #18 on: Monday,January 27, 2020, 12:44:03 AM »
It was a fairly common mod in the UK in response to the perception that the water pump bearings were fragile and would break if you had tension on the fan belt.

There's nothing wrong with the idea but as always you do have to wonder how Ford managed to make the same basic pump work in thousands of Cortinas, etc, with only a standard V belt.  Perhaps Chapman was right all along with "if you make it adjustable, they'll ruin it"......    ;)

Brian

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #19 on: Monday,January 27, 2020, 06:28:51 AM »
Bean and others sold/carry it.  Belt is not "tight" but no slipping.

Every day a learning experience. Thanks JB.

It was a fairly common mod in the UK in response to the perception that the water pump bearings were fragile and would break if you had tension on the fan belt.

There's nothing wrong with the idea but as always you do have to wonder how Ford managed to make the same basic pump work in thousands of Cortinas, etc, with only a standard V belt.  Perhaps Chapman was right all along with "if you make it adjustable, they'll ruin it"......    ;)

Brian

It's funny for me as a machine designer (an older one at that) how Colin Chapman and my Lotus experience is creeping into my work. More than once I've invoked "simplify, then add lightness" in a design meeting, only to have some millennial say "don't you mean reduce mass?". (Okay, Boomer.) Eliminating unnecessary adjustment points is becoming a habit also.
Tom
« Last Edit: Monday,January 27, 2020, 06:36:21 AM by surfguitar58 »
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #20 on: Monday,January 27, 2020, 07:35:44 AM »
Yes, it used the Cortina water pump internals but the Cortina pump came off with a few bolts and did not require an semi-engine strip to change.  The pump actually lasts a good long time in a Europa as there is not generator/alternator on the same belt.  Again Lotus built something that was just fine by racing practice but not so user friendly in a production car.  Not a complaint, it is what it is.