Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Metal Window Lift Channel Detached from Glass

<< < (2/3) > >>

EuropaTC:
Tiger Seal, used on the Elise for virtually everything hidden and sticks like......   something to a blanket.  It's rubber based so stays flexible, obviously waterproof and is extremely strong once set.  Ideal for glass to metal bonds I'd have thought, it's currently holding the headlamps in place on my Elise and only there because the old units had corroded and I had to cut out the old Tiger Seal that Lotus used.

There's something very similar from Screwfix, a polyurethane building adhesive, or you can get the Lotus Appoved Tiger seal from Amazon.  I honestly wouldn't use JB weld, it's going to set rock hard and I think with glass a bit of flexibility is better.

Brian

dakazman:
  Just a warning, if the side windows are anything like the quarter glass.  please stay off the edges with any metal contact.

I could be a little over cautious, but better safe than sorry.
Dakazman

4129R:

--- Quote from: dakazman on Thursday,April 11, 2024, 11:41:24 AM ---  4129,
  Just a warning, if the side windows are anything like the quarter glass.  please stay off the edges with any metal contact.

I could be a little over cautious, but better safe than sorry.
Dakazman

--- End quote ---
The metal channel contacts the bottom of the glass with a thin black sticky channel. I will retain that channel as it has some flexibility.

I have ordered an adhesive like Tiger Seal called MHP PU adhesive, which also seems to have flexibility, so there should be no threat to the glass.

I am surprised after 50 years, this problem has not happened elsewhere, even with my 13 other windows. 

EuropaTC:
Yep, that's the same sort of thing.

If the stuff you get is as sticky as Tiger Seal then I'd make sure you have some surgical or mechanic's gloves when you're using it. Tiger Seal (and the Screwfix equivalent that I can't remember just now) is awful  to remove from your hands. Swarfega, scrubbing brushes and plenty of spare time is the only way to get clean, not fun and best avoided.

4129R:

--- Quote from: EuropaTC on Thursday,April 11, 2024, 02:02:27 PM ---If the stuff you get is as sticky as Tiger Seal then I'd make sure you have some surgical or mechanic's gloves when you're using it. Tiger Seal (and the Screwfix equivalent that I can't remember just now) is awful  to remove from your hands. Swarfega, scrubbing brushes and plenty of spare time is the only way to get clean, not fun and best avoided.

--- End quote ---

Thank you for that warning.

I filled the channel in the metal lifter, and pulled the lifter up while pressing the glass down from the top, and the black goo went everywhere. I was wearing disposable surgeon's gloves which got covered, as did the window up and down electrical switch from my gloves.

Luckily petrol cleaned it off the switch easily enough.

They do not say what the cure time is. I will leave it for 24 hours before testing it, as the down pull from the electric motor to open the window is quite strong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version