Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Trimmed crash pad

(1/4) > >>

Jesper:
I bought a crash pad for my Twin Cam Special from Banks. Now I need to install the black vinyl cover on the crash pad.
What glue would you recommend and does anyone have any advice?

4129R:
Contact adhesive.

Start with the centre, then do a little bit each side, stretching the fabric as you go.

If you glue it all at once, it will stick before you have stretched it, so lots of little steps.

Clifton:
Weldwood Landau cement is the best. Weldwood makes a smaller regular one in a red can but I didn't want to risk it and this is made for heat. You are in Denmark though so heat probably isn't a concern.

You will also need "4 Way stretch vinyl" with a heat gun or blow dryer. It's the only way to wrap nicely it if you are not sewing the edges. Mines held up for 9 years so far.

As above said on in sticking. The glue shouldn't be wet but just air dry. Try samples and you'll get a feel of when it's dry enough.

Kendo:
Do you paint the adhesive on the whole thing, then stretch bits at a time, or actually just paint it on bit by bit? For the second approach, I would think you’d spend a lot of time waiting for glue to tack dry. But maybe that’s what you have to do.

4129R:
Only put the glue on the little bits you are working on. Baby steps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version