Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

3780R Resto - Engine Restart

<< < (2/17) > >>

Bainford:
There is a large plug sealed with an o-ring on the bottom of each float bowl. Replace these before trying to start the engine. Be sure to use O-rings suitable for gasoline service, such as nitrile (buna-N) or Viton.

Also, to reiterate very important advice from BDA, ensure the fuel line "T" between the carbs is not the original plastic piece (or any plastic piece at all). Replace it with brass or similarly reliable material. More than one Europa has burned to the ground due to failure of the O-rings or the fuel "T".

DManglano:
Today I tried a restart.  I made sure the pistons move freely, put in new oil, filter, plugs, and fresh gas.  Gave a few short starts to make sure the everything turned over under power.  Dropped the fuel line into a fresh tank of gas.  Cranked her over few periods of 10 to 15 seconds but did not get her to fire.  Noticed that the fuel pump did not seem to be getting any gas.  Any ideas??

EuropaTC:
If there's no fuel showing in the glass top of the pump the first thing I'd try is to prime it before turning it over. The mechanical pump is very simple with two rubber flap valves inside and I suppose if it's been left empty for several years they might be having trouble sealing in air to provide enough suction to pull fuel in.  It's a standard Ford part and rebuild kits used to be very common over here.

Before a rebuild I'd dribble some fuel down the line into the pump and it you're using a 1 gallon fuel can as a temporary measure, fix it above the pump. I'd probably spin it over with the plugs removed to build up oil pressure first and that should get the pump working as it'll turn over much faster.  Once it's got some fuel in the bowl then I'd expect the pump to work with the tanks in the car so I'd drop the fuel in there instead.

Brian

4129R:
With a full tank of petrol, the fuel pump primes itself through gravity.

I filled both tanks to the brim, and by the next weekend, the glass bulb was full of fuel all by itself, with no cranking.

DManglano:
Still not sure if I'm having issues with the fuel pump, but am certain I'm not getting a spark to any of the plugs.  Removed the distributor cap to make sure it is spinning.  Which it is.  Need to check the coil.  Does anyone have a trick for that other than using a multimeter?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version