Author Topic: Windsheild bonding substance  (Read 2385 times)

Offline exarkun1178

Windsheild bonding substance
« on: Thursday,April 11, 2013, 03:51:07 PM »
Have a question,  what bonding substance should i use to when i reinstall the windshield?

I understand the glass to be structural. 

i will not be spending 550$ for new molding.  thats just crazy!

i am open to other solutions if you have them?

Thanks,

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Windsheild bonding substance
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,April 11, 2013, 09:29:57 PM »
It's a long time since I did mine but IIRC I just went to a local windscreen service and bought a couple of tubes of the "goo" that they use. The name "Sikaflex" rings a bell, it was black, came in a standard 300ml (?) tube and applied with the usual sealant gun contraption.  When we had the bonded windscreen replaced on our van a few years ago, they used the same sort of stuff, cold curing and just applied out of a tube.

But Chris (The Kid) has just replaced his so he'll know what you guys have available over there.

What's the $550 for a new molding all about ?

Brian

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #2 on: Friday,April 12, 2013, 03:18:43 AM »
Thank you.  will have to run past one of those places tomorrow.

last time i saw the plastic chrome surround - at R&D it was listed at 550$

I reached out to Chris's dad, but didnt come away with much. 

Offline 3929R

« Reply #3 on: Friday,April 12, 2013, 09:21:25 AM »
I can't believe the shiny plastic surround is $550?  Have you called the other vendors?  I do not see it listed on RD's site.

I replaced the trim but not the windscreen.  This is what I did-  http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=291.msg1726#msg1726  If I were replacing the windscreen, I'd use the proper surround... But $550????
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Friday,April 12, 2013, 09:50:15 AM »
$550 for the plastic surround   :huh:    I need to sit down, or maybe take a strong  :BEER3:

That's a crazy price for a roll of plastic, I think I'd be investigating what modern cars use instead. I always thought the real problem was the aluminium corners, I haven't seen those for sale for ages.

Brian

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #5 on: Friday,April 12, 2013, 12:46:12 PM »
Here is the 3M glue I was going to use.

You also need the primer to put on the glass and the edge of the window frame for it to stick properly.

I ended up calling an auto glass company to install the glass. Here in Southern California it was cheap, around $100.00 and they come to you. The small bottle of primer was over $25.00 and the black goo stuff was about the same price. The glass company supplied everything, so I did not use the stuff I bought. I figured, if they broke the glass it would be on them to replace it. Took the guy about 45 minutes to do the whole job. When he put the primer on the glass I had him make it wider so it covered up the the goo.

If your not commited to the plastic chrome, Banks sells a black rubber surround that I think looks pretty good. I did this on a 914 Porsche recently and am very happy with the results.

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline CLW

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,April 13, 2013, 04:52:49 AM »
Yes, that's the 3m product they used on Chris's car( Thekid#9). The chrome surround came from Richard Banks (Banks Engineering) in England, but didn't fit the window correctly and had to be modified along with trimming to fit in the corner pieces.

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,April 13, 2013, 06:07:44 PM »
thank you for the pictures and #numbers.

we took the windshield out today.  cleaning up the gup went well,  the windshield however did not make it out alove.  bout 6 inch left to go and my buddy went a bit too fast and - snap.

Any one have a like where to order a new one?

Offline CLW