Author Topic: Gear Lever - where does this go?  (Read 832 times)

Offline Dilkris

Re: Gear Lever - where does this go?
« Reply #15 on: Saturday,May 22, 2021, 05:10:30 AM »
Of all the TCs I have worked on, none have had any block above the chassis. All had both halves below the chassis.
Didn't think of this option - guess this is Option 3 then....  :)) :))

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #16 on: Saturday,May 22, 2021, 05:31:42 AM »
I am mistaken......I am blaming it on "no coffee yet".....sorry Chris.
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #17 on: Saturday,May 22, 2021, 09:41:14 AM »
Of all the TCs I have worked on, none have had any block above the chassis. All had both halves below the chassis.
I have just found the attached photo posted on the forum in 2013 by Lotusjps - this would seem to confirm Option 3.

Offline jlmullen2

« Reply #18 on: Saturday,May 22, 2021, 10:27:01 AM »
On my original TCS the Bearing plate assembly (AKA sandwich plate) was installed under the chassis hole and the screws held it in place. When I removed it the whole shifter assembly fell down into the chassis. I decided to replace the Bearing plate with a new one from RD Ent and tried to mount it the same way as the original plate. I couldn't get the plate to tighten so the two pieces were flush with each other, there was a small gap between the two plates. I called Ray at RD and he told me his plates mount on either side of the chassis with the threaded plate inside the chassis. I tried this and it worked perfectly. Maybe The RD plates are different from the originals but it seems to work fine on my car.
Larry Mullen
73 Europa TC Special
97 Saleen 281
04 Subaru WRX

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #19 on: Saturday,May 22, 2021, 10:45:24 AM »
 :I-agree: That makes the most sense - think that's the way I'll go. Option 2 as per my earlier picture.  :beerchug:

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #20 on: Saturday,May 22, 2021, 01:55:43 PM »
I have just found the attached photo posted on the forum in 2013 by Lotusjps - this would seem to confirm Option 3.

Expensive broken gear lever.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #21 on: Sunday,May 23, 2021, 06:28:41 AM »
I've just removed the centre console on my TCS and the two halves are both in the chassis with the bolts as per the picture of the damaged lever.  These hold the assembly together (so it doesn't fall apart while you install it?) and the bolts come up through the holes in the chassis with the washers/nuts fitted inside the cabin. I can't say if this is original as I've only had the car a couple of years and it has clearly been apart before as none of the nuts match!

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #22 on: Sunday,May 23, 2021, 06:30:18 AM »
I've just removed the centre console on my TCS and the two halves are both in the chassis with the bolts as per the picture of the damaged lever.  These hold the assembly together (so it doesn't fall apart while you install it?) and the bolts come up through the holes in the chassis with the washers/nuts fitted inside the cabin. I can't say if this is original as I've only had the car a couple of years and it has clearly been apart before as none of the nuts match!

Original. All 7 of mine were like that.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #23 on: Sunday,May 23, 2021, 08:11:31 AM »
:I-agree: That makes the most sense - think that's the way I'll go. Option 2 as per my earlier picture.  :beerchug:
OK - I now agree with 4129R - it's going to be "Option 3"...... both sandwich plates inside the tunnel. :)) :))

Having just assembled everything I can confirm that Option 2, (sandwich plates either side of the tunnel - see original photo's) is not ideal as the manner upon which the sandwich plates are machined, prevents them firmly clamping either side of the chassis, consequently when everything is done up tight, the sandwich plates can move around and are only effectively located by the clearance between the bolt hole diameter and the sandwich plate bolts.
So far, I am finding this whole assembly a PITA to work on - it is extremely awkward.  :headbanger: 

Offline BobW

« Reply #24 on: Sunday,May 23, 2021, 03:18:00 PM »
The S2 had one plate either side of the chassis. I cut a slot into the lower one to allow it to be removed and refitted without withdrawing the gear lever.