Author Topic: Another 46 to 47 project!  (Read 16633 times)

Offline DreamsOfA47

Re: Another 46 to 47 project!
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday,October 11, 2022, 12:43:38 PM »
I second that! I'd love to see your setup for that as I may make all those mods as well!

Also, Sandyman do you remember if the front light harness was a separate unit when you were wiring up your car? I'm stumped over it at the moment and its driving me MAD  :headbanger: :headbanger:

Offline Clifton

« Reply #61 on: Tuesday,October 11, 2022, 01:09:03 PM »
I used this to power everything not factory, 3 fans, a/c, fuel pump and all the EFI electronics that was added. They use mini fuses and mini relays. They have water tight covers

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #62 on: Tuesday,October 11, 2022, 01:21:36 PM »
Much better than mine. I am away from home this week and will post a picture of my fuses and ground next week. I will also look at the front wiring.

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #63 on: Tuesday,October 11, 2022, 07:17:38 PM »
Clifton that set up is very nice! Are those Painless parts? Sandyman, don't fret over it but if you could give it a look when your able I'd really appreciate it!

Offline Clifton

« Reply #64 on: Wednesday,October 12, 2022, 06:52:17 AM »
Not Painless. I think I bought everything here https://www.waytekwire.com/products/1611/Power-Distribution/. I put a plug on the end so it can be removed.

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #65 on: Thursday,October 13, 2022, 11:30:20 AM »
In the interest of not bombarding everyone (mostly JB so far... sorry!) with stupid questions that may have already been answered: does anyone know if there's a reference index of parts that Lotus borrowed from other marques or a list of parts that were used across multiple marques and models? I'm in need of rear brake shoes and a wiper motor for an early S2 as well as an ignition switch and I know other manufacturers had to be using parts from the same Lucas catalogue at the same time!

Also does anyone know the bore of the brake master cylinder for an S1a single circuit brake system? I seem to recall it being .7" but I'm not quite sure

Online BDA

« Reply #66 on: Thursday,October 13, 2022, 11:44:11 AM »
Yes. First go to and bookmark this page: http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/ It has the most information about Europas in one place anywhere.

There are three possibilities. There is a TC cross reference (http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/lotuswest/74MC083.html) which probably won't help you much. There is a searchable cross reference that may or may not work but is worth trying (http://lotus-europa.com/parts.asp). And then there is this one which should be somewhat useful (https://www.gglotus.org/ggpart/europacr.htm).

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #67 on: Thursday,October 13, 2022, 12:56:15 PM »
That Golden Gate Lotus club page is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #68 on: Thursday,October 13, 2022, 04:45:44 PM »
Brake shoes are early Triumph GT6
Ignition switch is standard Lucas fare.  Try early MGB or early Triumph Spitfire or TR4

Wiper motor is a bit more complicated.  The “motor” part is all the same but the drive wheel inside varies and is specified in degrees written on the wheel itself.  Get it wrong and the wipers will travel too far, possibly running onto the bodywork.  Also, the wheel boxes are different between single and dual wiper set-ups. They have a different number of teeth on their drive gear.  Here’s where it gets worse.  Part numbers I can find but not the specifics of degrees or the number of teeth.  So it is tricky to try and find substitutions from other brand’s parts bins.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #69 on: Thursday,October 13, 2022, 04:46:57 PM »
PS: Yes the S1 master cylinder has a 0.7” bore.

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #70 on: Thursday,October 13, 2022, 06:50:05 PM »
JB you really are my hero! Triumph parts are actually pretty easy to find stateside so I can probably get those brake shoes without much issue. The ignition switch on the other hand has proved interesting... I'm able to get a genuine Lucas S1 ignition switch from England with keys, but it seems that the early S2 ignition switch, part #Lucas 149SA 35852, is near impossible to find. The closest thing I've found is this https://www.classicbritishspares.com/products/lucas-4-position-ignition-lighting-switch-w-keys-30552-54335169 and it seems to be for old British motorcycles. I'm not sure if that would work but I'm also not sure why it wouldn't given that its a 4-position switch. Motorcycles also have tachs and run on a 12-volt system I think so I imagine it'd be fine. That being said a cheap Triumph replacement can be had much more readily and cheaply so that may be my best bet.

The wiper motors being so complicated is a bummer. The wires on mine are all mangled and the plug is missing so at a minimum I'll need to get a new male 5-pin plug and wire it correctly and hope it works. Where I live in SoCal doesn't see much rain so I can honestly get away without for a little while give the Europa isn't my daily-driver. I'll burn that bridge when I get to it I guess!  :confused:

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #71 on: Thursday,October 13, 2022, 08:58:20 PM »
I would not use a motorcycle ignition switch.  They have the lights controlled by the ignition switch and so have no spring loaded “start” position.  Moss has this switch in stock:

https://mossmotors.com/ignition-switch-1?assoc=22940

Or, is yours one with a column lock?

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #72 on: Friday,October 14, 2022, 12:09:22 PM »
Mine does not have a column lock, just some strange, non-original dash ignition of unknown origin. I understand on the motorcycle ignition and I purchased a Mk1 Spitfire ignition switch, as well as TR6 brake shoes from Moss. The wiring for the front lights and indicators as well as the switch and controls lights in the cab are really beginning to confound me. I'm beginning to realize that I may have bitten off way more than I can chew with by rewiring the car but I'll keep plugging ahead.

On an unrelated note my brake master cylinder is toast and needs either rebuild or replacement. Frustratingly the Girling master cylinders seen online look very different from the Europa ones, and the rebuild kits for the .70" bore MCs are all out of stock. I'll likely take it to the local brake guru and see if he can source the necessary parts for a rebuild. That's the next big chapter in the project: getting the car to stop!

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #73 on: Friday,October 14, 2022, 01:28:11 PM »
Wilwood has a .70 mc that is dimensionally the same as Girling. I have had good experiences with Wilwood mc on two vehicles. Do not buy OBP ones. They are impossible to get bled properly and leak.
https://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderProd?itemno=260-15090

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #74 on: Friday,October 14, 2022, 03:37:10 PM »
NOT TR6 brake shoes!  GT6!