Lotus Europa Forums > Technical Articles and DIY tools and tips

Dave Bean Removal Water Pump

(1/3) > >>

TheKid#9:
Hi Everyone,

Happy Thanksgiving!
I finally got my Europa back from the shop and it drives great and is running better than ever. However, my water pump is leaking. The belt might be too tight so I may be able to loosen it once I Jack the car up and see if that helps, if not, I may have to take the engine out again :(

Is is possible to put Dave Beans removal water pump on without taking the engine out? We have drove the car over 400 miles and the water pump has yet to seal up.

Thanks,

BDA:
Theoretically, it should be possible since EuropaTC explains how to replace the stock water pump without taking the engine out (http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=4128.0). Another option is to install an electric water pump (http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=3678.0).

TheKid#9:
The electric water pump is a really good idea, but how do I stop the leaking of the original? Mine isn’t seized.

BDA:
Yeah... you'll have to deal with that first, won't you?

Anyway, you should be able to replace your water pump with a Bean cassette pump given the instructions for replacing the water pump linked to above. Not having anything else on the water pump belt should keep the water pump bearings in good shape for a long time. Some (eg. jbcollier) say that the cassette pump isn't necessary on a TC because of that. It makes sense to me. V-belts of the same size are not always the same size, if you get my drift, so some are a bit tight I hear. I like the idea of a gilmer belt setup for the water pump because there is no force from the belt then. Bean has them if you're interested.

I missed you in West Virginia!!

TheKid#9:
I have the gilmer kit from Bean installed though. I think it’s just too tight… But I do not know. It’s a lotus sooooo Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious is my mindset at the moment.

The shop added an idler pulley to it because we couldn’t find the correct belt to fit the gilmer. Could that be the reason as well?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version