Lotus Europa Forums > Technical Articles and DIY tools and tips

Gearbox selection issues

<< < (2/5) > >>

4129R:
The bolt at an angle is a metric bolt that holds the speedo cable in place. It is normally at a strange angle, 9mm head if I remember correctly.

BDA:
 ;D SilverBeast is correct. I was referring to your Europa but since this is a family friendly forum, pictures of your future Lotus driver preparing for that future would be welcome too, I think!

TCs Euro:
Great replies, thanks so much, very helpful.

For a moment I thought you wanted a picture of my Tranny, different forum perhaps...

The sealant around the speedo cable can't be normal though can it....?
The gear lever is a bit floppy and falls to the right, it does rotate as well. There is play on the bell housing attachment, the rod end bearing seems ok but the sleeve bit that attaches to the gearbox is loose.
As soon as I get it on my single post ramp, I can go though the linkage in the tunnel. A single poster doesn't suit a Europa and don't fancy jacking it on the fibre glass.

SilverBeast:
If it's a standard chassis you can't get at the linkage in the tunnel from underneath. You have to do everything via the oval hole under the armrest. You will need to remove the cenre console first. The two bolts that hold the heater/choke bracket and two screws under the ashtray.  Remove gear lever knob. The it lifts off.

If you detatch the linkage from the back of the gearbox and the bell housing, you can remove the gear lever knob and the 4 nuts that hold the gear lever and drop it into the tunnel. You can then pull it back far enough to change/replace the top hats while it's still in the tunnel. Wrap the gear lever in insulation tape, or rubber tubing to prevent it getting scraped (I didn't).

This link has a picture of the lever in the tunnel http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=4631.0

Tip: Tie strings to your spanners so you can retrieve them easily when you drop them I to the tunnel. Do the same to support the gear linkage with tie wraps round a bar/spanner/screwdriver that spans the hole in the tunnel. It means you can support it at a comfortable (ish) height and it won't move around as much.

You can support the car on the fibreglass. I used plyboard spreader plates approx 8 to 12" square and supported it on  axle stands under the jacking points (just behind front wheels and in just front of the back wheels). You want to be supporting it on the flat section just behind the where the vertical part of the arch joins the horizontal to minimise flex in the horizontal glass. Certified Lotus used a 2 pillar lift in the same places I believe on his epic rebuild thread.

TCs Euro:
Thanks again SB,

I have a space frame chassis from spyder. I've taken off the centre console, arm rest, ashtray etc, but still couldn't get into it at the time as 10mm rubber sound proofing is stuck over the hole. When I have more time I will remove the carpet and sound deadening panels. I can see the linkage from underneath(just) albeit obscured by hose and cables, my battery has been re-sited to the front.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version