Lotus Europa Forums > Technical Articles and DIY tools and tips

Gearbox selection issues

(1/5) > >>

TCs Euro:
Hi all,

I just wanted to share some pictures of what I have gearbox wise to fathom out if it is normal or ..... well.. bodged.

I am the new owner of a '73 TC Special so a 365 box.

There has been some welding done to the rear of the box.
A screw which is undone at an odd angle.
Sealant around speedo cable... and various oil leaks.
Gear selection is extremely hard, it is undrivable as it is.

Are there any recommended kits to improve the gear selection?

I am in the N.Devon area of UK, if there is anyone close by....

Many thanks, Jay.

SilverBeast:
Hi Jay,

:Welcome:

It looks like the external reverse/fifth gear detent has been removed, which will make getting into 2nd without finding reverse "challenging".  You may need to fit a reverse lockout mechanism on the gear lever. Instructions are available on this site. Fifth gear detent was in the Renault box, but not used by Lotus. You can add it back by fitting a ball bearing and a spring (I think that's all).

First check on gearchange is to make sure all the linkage is tight.
(i) Can you rotate gear lever on its axis at all? There shouldn't  be any rotation. The standard nylon "top hat" bushes wear/disintegrate. SJSportscars do brass replacements which are much better.
(ii) Both the Bush and the joint in the linkage where it fastens to the rear bell housing can wear. Check they are OK.
(iii) The universal joint in the rear section where just before it joins the gearbox can also wear. Replacement joints for refurb are available.
(iv) There should be a roll pin holding the linkage to the selector shaft on the gearbox. It looks like it's been replaced with a bolt. That should be OK if the fitting has been cut so it can compress onto the shaft. It's designed to stop axial rotation using the splines on the shaft and forward/backward movement relative to the shaft with the roll pin.

BDA:
 :Welcome:  TCs Euro!!

Sorry I can’t help you with your tranny question but it looks like SilverBeast has got you covered. At least I can welcome you to the forum! We’d love to see more pictures of your baby!

TurboFource:
 :Welcome:

SilverBeast:

--- Quote from: BDA on Monday,July 04, 2022, 04:58:59 PM --- We’d love to see more pictures of your baby!

--- End quote ---

For clarity, I'm pretty sure BDA means your Europa, not the one in your profile pic!

I also second the pictures request.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version