Lotus Europa Forums > Technical Articles and DIY tools and tips

RICHARD MANN'S UPPER LINK AND REAR SUSPENSION MODS TO 7004100119Q

<< < (3/18) > >>

RoddyMac:
Richard,
I'm very interested in seeing the CV drive flange.  I'm going to running VW Golf shafts on my car and I've picked up a set of 100mm inner flanges from a VW gearbox, but I'm undecided on the way to adapt them.  Did you machine up a complete output shaft, or did you cut and weld the Lotus (or Renault) output shaft to the Alfa output shaft/flange?

Rod

BDA:
Thanks for the answers to my questions. But...

--- Quote ---3 - the steel bracket I fabricated has a clearance hole for the 7/16" bolt. Lets say the hole is 1/2". That stops the ball joint from falling outboard. A picture tells a thousand words and I don't have a picture on hand.
--- End quote ---

So what you're saying is the plate has a bigger hole than the bolt (1/2") and you crimped the tube after you put the ball joint in?

Theoretically, your alignment shouldn't change. It's nice to know the theory holds sometimes!

Lotus 47:
Yes - I installed the ball joint then crimped the tube on my fabricated bracket.

More photos below.

The outer bracket is attached using the 4 x 5/16" UNC bolts in the aluminium upright. So no load goes thru the steel trailing arm. I did try bolting to the trailing arm but it started to distort.

Lotus 47:
and another

Lotus 47:
BMW stub axles - all of this stuff has been posted for some time now, but I'll repost it here so every thing is together in one spot.

The Microsoft Word document (if it loads) details the stub axle change using a fixed length drive shaft, but the installation is not any different to the CV drive shaft conversion on my car.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version