Lotus Europa Forums > Technical Articles and DIY tools and tips

Yet Another Take on Brakes.....

<< < (3/4) > >>

EuropaTC:

--- Quote from: BDA on Thursday,September 22, 2016, 05:23:26 AM ---  ;D
Let us know how what you find out!

--- End quote ---

Well, it's been a while now so I thought I'd better post where I'm at. True to form there have been several "dohhh" moments along the way. Having tried a couple of apps now I've settled for trying to learn how to use one of them properly without losing all the data or having to manually scan through massive CSV files to find the braking points.

However....    the Kindle Fire app does appear to give you numbers in the x/y/z planes which are supposed to be the g-force acting on your device.  Are those numbers accurate ? well I have no other point of reference so I'll take it as comparative data rather than absolute. It's a real pity that I didn't have this before changing the system because then I'd have a true reference point. (one of the many "dohhh" moments)

What I've found is that testing on dry roads with good grippy surfaces and doing hard stops from between 30 to 50 mph, if I believe the data I can get numbers both above & below the target 1G.  This is where I'm suspecting my method or the data sampling is inaccurate because although I've felt close, the fronts haven't locked yet and the calcs said they should at 0.95g. ( on a positive note, neither have the rears  :) )

So the data gathering has a way to go yet, but it looks promising.

To end on a positive note I'll say that if you can fit larger discs, then do so. If you're going for a rear disc conversion, fit the largest you can and balance the front to suit.  Having now tried it I'd say that this is a massive improvement, far more than fitting GT6 calipers & discs to the Elan.   I'd even go so far as to say it's worth junking 13" wheels for, the reduction in pedal effort and stopping distances is, well, just amazing.

BDA:
Interesting, Brian! Who would have thought that bigger rear discs would be the trick after reading so many people say rear drums are perfectly adequate?

EuropaTC:
Hi BDA,

I've no argument with anyone wanting to stay with OEM brakes, all I'd say is to look at it with an open mind.   Until Richard on the Yahoo group produced his first spreadsheet my only aim with the brakes was to make sure they were maintained as well as possible. But Richard's approach altered my perception and it was all downhill afterwards !  ;)

His original spreadsheet showed a 74%/26% front/rear split on braking with an S2 using OEM front & rear drum brakes.   Changing to 240mm rear discs improved this to 67%/33%.  Using TC numbers this came out at 64%/36% and my latest setup has the ratio at 66%/34%. So whichever conversion you go for you're getting more out of the rear brakes.

I always used to think that it was only the front that mattered, but having read up a bit now I can see that the rears are equally important in balancing the car.  I'm pretty much convinced the OEM set up wasn't by design but depended on what was in the "cheap parts bin".    :)

Brian

Bainford:
Very interesting stuff, Brian. I haven't posted in this thread but I have been watching it with keen interest.

BDA:

--- Quote ---I'm pretty much convinced the OEM set up wasn't by design but depended on what was in the "cheap parts bin".    :)
--- End quote ---

I think you're right. Lotus built a pretty impressive car from a bunch of pretty unimpressive parts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version