Author Topic: Fuego engines in Europas...  (Read 2127 times)

Offline katanaman

Fuego engines in Europas...
« on: Monday,January 21, 2013, 09:18:43 PM »
 Hi, it's me again.  I am stopped for now as my MGB's f.i. system went down, and I want it running.  It is in a heated garage, so I will prefer the project over the Europa that will require months before it's ready.  I saw tonight on Craigslist a 1980's Fuego listed for $300.  I do know that that engine is a possibility for the early Europas, although the turbo version is preferred...  What do you know about this conversion?  Are there resources I can be pointed to?  What kind of power should a normally aspirated Fuego engine deliver?  I am not giving up on the Mazda just yet, though I would imagine that the (required) new alternator won't be cheap.  But... if the Fuego engine works well, I might steer closer to what the car came with originally...    Dan

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Fuego engines in Europas...
« Reply #1 on: Monday,January 21, 2013, 11:18:55 PM »
I don't know about the engine Dan, but in the UK people were using fuego gearboxes to replace the OEM 5sp ones when spares dried up, I guess that would be the late 80s.  My thoughts are that the complete unit should fit in; low tech 80's stuff shouldn't be too difficult to get running again. Of course that depends on how well the engine & gearbox are, and I would check out the spares situation before making a move.

There's lots of info on this page around Renault components (engine, gearbox), it's the best single source of information I've seen for our cars.

http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/index.htm 

Brian

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: Fuego engines in Europas...
« Reply #2 on: Friday,February 01, 2013, 07:15:00 AM »
Dave Syer's webpage has a very complete listing of Renault engine/gearbox applications and specifications and how they may apply to the S2.

The Fuego engine will fit the S2 as the beginnings for a crossflow conversion. There is a complication to using the Fuego engine as Dave points out in his excellent webpage.

http://www.syer.net/donor_cars.htm

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca