Author Topic: Winter project: 352 overhaul?  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Pete Gossett

Winter project: 352 overhaul?
« on: Tuesday,September 11, 2012, 05:29:19 PM »
I'm trying to prepare for the long cold winter we're overdue for, and since the drivetrain was out of the '73 when I bought the cars, tackling the 352 transmission seems like a decent starting point. Unfortunately I don't know any history on this transmission, as the PO bought this car with a stuck piston to use as parts for the '72. The odometer showed ~40kmi on it, for whatever that is worth. I can tell you that it appears to have been leaking out every seal for quite some time!

So, other than replacing seals, is there anything else I should plan on doing/replacing while I've got it out?

What's the best way to clean a grimy gearbox and end up with a nice "new cast aluminium" look to it?

What is the general consensus on synthetic lube for these? I'm an Amsoil dealer, so it would be handy if I could use the car to showcase the product - but not if it will lead to detrimental effects!

Offline cal44

Re: Winter project: 352 overhaul?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,September 12, 2012, 08:02:11 AM »
Pete,
 I don't know what I am talking about but here goes........ would one do a bearing kit since it is going to be apart?  Where does one get a bearing kit?.......I got no clue.

I use Swepco  in the manual transmissions/transaxles.  It's a big deal in the Porsche world so I figure it is good for them it's good for me.  Yes, I have owned my fair share of Porsches.

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline benbeames

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,September 12, 2012, 09:56:37 AM »
Yes, I have owned my fair share of Porsches.

Its okay.  We won't hold that against you. :) 

Offline Pete Gossett

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,September 12, 2012, 06:22:14 PM »
Did some searching on the yahoo archive tonight, the general consensus was - if the trans isn't broken, don't split the case, just replace all the seals and check the play of the shafts.

The problem is this car was a 40kmi non-runner when the PO picked it up, so who knows what this is like on the inside? A full rebuild sounds like it requires some specialized tools and skill, so I'll check it out manually as best I can, replace the seals, and see how it holds up.

Next question: They mentioned a special tool to remove the output shaft nuts. Does anyone have a DIY tool that will work? I haven't cleaned the crud off mine to get a good look at it yet.

Offline benbeames

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,September 12, 2012, 07:12:02 PM »
I bought and used one of these successfully:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WMR-W1270/

You could also make one out of PVC pipe.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,September 12, 2012, 09:30:42 PM »
To clean the gearbox, take it to a car wash, lots of hot soapy water. Be careful around the output shafts.

To loosen the output shaft nuts, I've had good luck with a motorcycle clutch basket holding tool. Works well if most or all of the fins have been broken off. Also works if for some reason you need to loosen the nut with the axles still on the output shaft.

http://www.bikebandit.com/motorcycle-hand-tools/n1333-4294966919

Can we post pictures here?

JT

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,September 12, 2012, 10:44:22 PM »
Can we post pictures here?

JT

Yes, when you're writing your reply, click on the "attachments and other options" below, LHS. This gives you a browse button where you can select files from your hard drive, like with this image of the tool BenBeames suggested. (which seems ridiculously cheap and makes me wonder why I spent a day butchering an old 3/4" socket last year)

Offline Pete Gossett

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,September 13, 2012, 04:06:49 AM »
Ok thanks for those tips!

I've been squirting the case with Purple Power or some such detergent every day or two trying to soften the crud a bit. Sounds like a trip to the car wash is in the plans for this weekend.

Offline cal44

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,September 13, 2012, 05:37:15 AM »
Pete,

Karcher power washer (k2.20).  I use the heck out of the thing.  For engine cleaner I use Kano Labs.

http://www.kanolabs.com/

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/power/karcher-electric-pressure-washers.html

Mike
« Last Edit: Thursday,September 13, 2012, 05:38:50 AM by cal44 »
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Steve

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,September 13, 2012, 12:06:44 PM »
Mine was so bad that even after pressure washing, it took HOURS of hand work with a set of those modeling clay sculpting tools, followed by a dremel with a cup wire brush.