Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

1970 S2 Europa with Gordini head: need help finding valve cover gaskets

<< < (3/3)

DamianLynch:
So it has been a while and I have been a bit lazy at fixing the valve cover leak as it is only slight.  Even though it doesn't leak too much oil I am getting tired of cleaning up the engine bay after each ride so I am ready to get in there and attempt to fix it.  I have the rubber gasket from R&D and went to take off the valve cover and went to pull off the wires and get to it.  The wires are attached quite firmly and I am concerned about doing something wrong so I though I would check here first.  Can anyone give some advice on how to safely unattach these so I can get the valve cover off.  Where exactly is the spark plug head in relation to the top of the wire?  I know this is noob question but I am deathly afraid of screwing this up.

DamianLynch:
OK so for others that are wondering about the spark plug tubes you need to rotate while pulling.  It doesn't matter if you rotate clockwise or counter clockwise just keep rotating.  If you try to pull straight the spark plug well seal will slide up the wire, giving you less to pull with.  It could also damage the wire contacts.

GavinT:
Damian,
You'll probably find it easier to slide the tube seals up the wire before trying to detach the wire. If the wire terminal is tight, you then can get some long nose pliers on the terminal to avoid pulling the actual wire itself.

There are also a wide variety of special tools available for the purpose or it's easy enough to fashion an L shaped hook.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version