Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 169425 times)

Offline jbcollier

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #420 on: Saturday,December 16, 2017, 07:33:18 PM »
The photos appear to show that the bearings are not identical.  Photos can be deceiving so measure it up carefully.  I got my transaxle bearings from MecaParts by crossing to Renault part numbers.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #421 on: Saturday,December 16, 2017, 09:44:53 PM »
JB, you would be correct the bearings are different. The new Timken bearing has more roller bearings than the SNF and the overall design is a bit different, but the diamentions are correct. I thought the same when I opened the box and first saw it. Took a micrometer to it (you can see a part of it on the table) to confirm diamensions.

So I am thinking this should work. What do you think?
« Last Edit: Saturday,December 16, 2017, 09:47:59 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #422 on: Sunday,December 17, 2017, 04:43:45 AM »
Looks like the Timken bearing has a slightly higher load rating (55 kN vs 45 kN, assuming SNR is quoting the 1 million cycle ratings)
file:///C:/Users/tegan/Downloads/PDFTechnicalSheet32304A.pdf
https://cad.timken.com/item/all-product-types/tapered-roller-bearings-ts-tapered-single-metric-2/item-25564
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #423 on: Sunday,December 17, 2017, 06:53:12 AM »
If it measures up the same, a higher load rating is a plus.  Regardless, check your ring/pinion contact pattern carefully.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #424 on: Sunday,December 17, 2017, 09:59:18 AM »
For what ever it's worth, I found this place http://www.consbrgs.com/search.html has many manufacturer's bearings in stock and also has specialty and obscure sizes. They also have inexpensive bearings from "alternative manufacturers" (Chinese?). A project I was working on needed some thin section NSK specialty bearings that were quoted at $400 each and 8 week lead time. We took a chance on in-stock $80 knock-offs since it was a non-critical application and they worked just fine. "Bearings is bearings" I think someone said. I'm not sure I am fully convinced of that, but time will tell.
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #425 on: Sunday,December 17, 2017, 04:08:32 PM »
Surfguitar58, yes the Timken are a higher load rating. When I was searching for the correct bearing I reached out to three bearing suppliers. Two of them were Chinese (which was not evident from their websites) and both wrote back to me that they don’t have the bearing in stock but would make them for me. I declined. I know that 123Bearing carries quality made bearings from known manufacturers.

JB, will be very careful of the contact pattern. Not a lot of room for error in a Transaxle assembly. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Sunday,December 17, 2017, 04:16:15 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #426 on: Sunday,December 17, 2017, 04:27:52 PM »
Today was planned to be final assembly of the left front suspension of the Europa. All the parts have been painted and all I needed to do was replate all the bolts, nuts and washers plus put never-seize on everything and bolt it all up. I was also replacing the bearings in the hub as I had full rebuild kits for that (or so I thought).

My friend Chris came over to help (as well as work on the Weber carbs of the twin Cam engine he bought from me).

The plating of the bolts, nuts and washers is like a surgical procedure (Eastwood makes a nice plating kit). Everything has to be super clean and prepped for plating. Once plated needs to be washed and then polished by hand (no buffing wheels allowed). Thank goodness Chris was here as the process went much faster.

I removed the bearings from the hubs, reinstalled the new races, packed the new tapered roller bearings with grease and realized the rebuild kit I got didn’t have the metal seal for the inner bearing (where the felt fits). Never fails, one small part stops the progress. Will order tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Sunday,December 17, 2017, 04:33:48 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #427 on: Sunday,December 17, 2017, 05:28:54 PM »
I always reuse the metal run for the felt seal.  Why would you change it?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #428 on: Sunday,December 17, 2017, 05:31:08 PM »
Forgive me for repeating myself.  90+% of the time, the supplied felt is TOO thick.  If you use it the bearings will not seat on the spindle properly.  I almost always reuse the old felts.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #429 on: Sunday,December 17, 2017, 06:14:51 PM »
JB, the metal ring was bent up. It was evident that someone had previously replaced the bearings (another mystery for this “low mileage car”) and struggled to get them out. I can probably straighten it out, but if a new one is available that would be my preference.

Funny that you mention the felt. I was comparing the original to the new replacement I noted the difference in depth, telling myself I need to check the web site for information on this. Thanks for the insight, saved me again!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #430 on: Monday,December 18, 2017, 08:49:29 PM »
Merry Merry!

Offline BDA

« Reply #431 on: Tuesday,December 19, 2017, 05:23:34 AM »
Merry Merry back at you, Certified!!

Nice collection of Loti you have there! A shiny "new" Europa will be a great addition soon!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #432 on: Tuesday,December 19, 2017, 09:22:50 AM »
BDA, the black Elise was my first Lotus. I traded it in a year later for a black Exige S that I built into a track car (totaled it in the rain at NJMP 3 years later). Bought the Silver Exige S and built that into another track car. Sold it when I retired my membership at NJMP. That’s when I switched to early Lotus cars to restore. Yes, the Yellow Europa will look great in the snow next to my BRG Elan S1. (I never photographed my red Elan S4 in the snow).

Offline BDA

« Reply #433 on: Tuesday,December 19, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »
Even better Photshop picture! Sorry to hear of your totaling your Exige! That must have hurt!

Keep looking to the future with cars from the past!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #434 on: Tuesday,December 19, 2017, 03:23:35 PM »
Merry Christmas guys 😀
I missed the pic, da**,

Sooner or later we will need new felt , I tossed mine by it looked like a washer. I wish now I would have taken JB advice , so where do I go from here ?

Nice job btw certified. I’m at that same point with the suspension.

Dakazman