Author Topic: Register  (Read 3396 times)

Offline lotusfanatic

Register
« on: Wednesday,June 12, 2019, 10:00:07 PM »
Hello All,

is there an updated register for the cars, with details of year of manufacture/registration/model and location?
I know there is one elsewhere but it seems quite out of date - apologies if there is one here and I've missed it!

Thanks  ;D 

Mark

Offline Sandyman

Re: Register
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,June 13, 2019, 04:04:14 AM »
 :I-agree: I would also like to know. How many of the less than 10,000 Europas are still out there?

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,June 13, 2019, 06:10:24 AM »
Sadly the registry on lotus-europa.com hasn't been updated since 2015. When new VINs show up on EBay, Craigslist or here in the forum, I sometimes check to see if they are known cars, and they are almost never listed. My car is not listed. I also accidentally discovered a couple of erroneously recorded cars. The new crop of "barn finds" were apparently put away before the registry started and "found" after it ended in 2015.

It would be really great if someone with the time, energy and attention to detail needed would take on maintaining the registry. And, for the record, that person is NOT me.

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,June 13, 2019, 06:48:03 AM »
I wonder if the details (which stopped being updated in 2015) could be copied and then amended to keep them fresh?
There's been a lot of movement of cars across counties, countries and continents!
Again, that would require a person with the spare time to keep the register fresh...

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,June 13, 2019, 10:20:51 AM »
I wonder if the new owner of the Banks spares company would be interested in running this.

Surely it is in their interest to have a register so they can advertise their products, and so the owners of Europas worldwide can know where to buy most of the spares.

Does anyone know whom to contact?

I could phone them and discuss to merits/possibilities with them.

Alex in Norfolk (2520R, 3089R, 3755R, 4129R, 4259R, 4483R and 4688R)

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,June 13, 2019, 11:27:38 AM »
I just emailed Dan over at the site and here is his response.

Wesley B Wright
12:12 PM (2 hours ago)
Dan Everybody on the several of the Lotus Europa forums have been wondering if the registry will ever be up again. Any word one way or another.

Daniel Morrison
1:46 PM (36 minutes ago)
to me

Wesley,

It’s still active. I have been slowly updating it as I have time.

Dan

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,June 13, 2019, 11:32:53 AM »
He recently updated the info on my car,  so yes it's slowly being updated.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,June 16, 2019, 05:50:43 PM »
It’s been awhile since I’ve been there but Yahoo groups had a register. Dan Morrison has several listed under his name. I have a printout but it is not in numerical order.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 02:21:33 PM »
  For those keeping up with a current number of Europas,
Found on eBay. Chopping up for parts 😭

7104110997R  ( I think we can mark as a goner)

Dakazman

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #9 on: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 05:47:05 PM »
I would consider creating a new registry if a few folks would be willing to help me with entering older data entry for a couple months. I develop database driven websites and could make it a very user friendly environment where information could be updated by the owners with photos.

If we all reached out to Europa owners we know it could be a very valuable resource.

Anyone interested? It would be a big project but would get us into a modern system.

Online BDA

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 06:14:49 PM »
Europ-Central (http://www.lotus-europa.com) has a registry that had been active for many years. Several years ago the guy who started it passed it on to somebody to maintain but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be updated as frequently as it once was. That might be the place to start but I'd be willing to participate in any Lotus registry.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 06:47:42 PM »
Yahoo groups has a list going also. I can email it to you. I have a lot of pictures from lotus-Europa site that I collected.

Count me in !

Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #12 on: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 08:25:14 PM »
Dan's the man for me, sorry.  Good luck though.

Offline gideon

« Reply #13 on: Sunday,August 11, 2019, 07:18:36 AM »
It seems to me that a registry that is open for editing by many people has a much better chance of staying up to date than a registry that is maintained by one person.  If 1970EuropaGuy could indeed set up something like that, with the help and cooperation of Daniel Morrison, then that would be a win for the community, no?   

Somebody would need to exercise a small amount of control over the right to edit - but, with a few rare exceptions, the more who can edit the better. 

Offline Nockenwelle

« Reply #14 on: Sunday,August 11, 2019, 02:10:45 PM »
My impression is also that the existing registry is (nearly) dead. I checked the S1 section and the latest update dates from 2014! Obviously Dan does not find the necessary time to keep it up to date. He may have some very good reason but that doesn't helps with the registry. I started to maintain a small registry myself concerning the Europa S1 to keep track at least of those cars that appeared on the net.

@1970EuropaGuy I would highly appreciate if you or anybody else with the necessary knowledge would start a new Europa registry based on current database technology. I would be very happy to help to collect and maintain data. I'm not sure if an open access to the editing functionality is a good thing or not. Maybe there could be a group of registry maintainers that would share the work amongst them.