Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

New Europa owner w questions

<< < (2/4) > >>

EuropaTC:
Hi Tom,
Mine is a standard TC but I'm far from expert in the differences. (however I do have a book and lots of notes so I can pretend to be smart  ;) ).

The TC started off with the 336 gearbox (4sp) as per the S2 Europa. This changed to the 352 (4sp) early in production which was then standard for the TC & Special. The 365 (5sp) gearbox came in as an optional extra, but from anecdotal evidence it was around the introduction of the Special and most, if not all, of the UK Specials had the 365 box.  But never take "common knowledge" for fact with these cars. For example it's often said that all TCs came with the optional Lotus Alloys, but mine certainly didn't.  So the fact your car has a 352 box doesn't mean it isn't one of the Specials.

As Mike says, the Special does have larger rear brakes, the shoes are from memory 1/4" wider than those fitted to the TC & earlier S2. Drum diameter is the same IIRC.  My TC has a simple slave cylinder inside the drum with the only adjustment being at the bottom of the backplate. However I've seen Europas with a self adjusting mechanism on the slave cylinder, a ratchet mechanism, and think this is a later modification for the Specials.   

They also have different rear hub bearings, the Special has 2 large bearings instead of one big, one small. (unfortunately the only way to see this is to rip the suspension apart). 

The Specials also had external trim panels fitted over the lower sills, I have never seen a TC with these and think they came with the later Special. Of course someone could always retrofit or remove them, but it's another pointer.

The very latest cars, all Specials, had different dashboards. I don't have pictures of these, but this page http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/index.htm has all the manuals and is a great place to start. If you pull the TC manuals you should find the differences in there. 

I'll try and scan the production milestones which lists the chassis numbers and change points, that might help as well.

Brian

3929R:

--- Quote from: TGM on Sunday,August 26, 2012, 08:07:07 AM --- after getting fresh gas to the carb the car starts, but feels like its running on 2 cylinders and won't idle.... When it runs, some gas spits out of the rear carb (where the air filter goes).
--- End quote ---
My car was stored in dry and hot conditions for about 20 years before I returned it to the road.  When I finally got to the point where I could start the car, it would not idle and the carbs leaked gas out of the air-filter plenum.   I had planned to remove the carbs, strip them down, clean them, and rebuild them (and eventually I will), but I ended up successfully cleaning them on the car well enough that the car idles and runs well and doesn't leak (at least for the time being).

I am a Europa knob and mechanic wanna be so be very weary of anything I say...... 
I found the info on this triumph web page most helpful- http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Carbs/CarbsI/CarbsI.htm I did a variety of things suggested under "fixing the leaks" but what I think actually did the most good was:
-remove the plugs on the bottom of the float bowls and thereby drain the carbs.
-re-install the plugs.
-remove the fuel lines from the sides of the carbs and fill the carbs with spray carb cleaner (the stuff in cans on the shelves of any auto parts store).
-let the carb cleaner sit in the carbs for 15 mins to 1/2 hour or longer?  (I also repeatedly opened and closed the throttles and chokes, and  rapped on the sides of the bowls to try to free the floats.)
-drain carb cleaner.
-re-install fuel lines.
-start car.
-repeat.
I see this as a temporary fix before I do a proper job on the carbs, preferably when there is snow on the ground.  Like I said I am a knob.  But I'm a knob with a currently running Europa (technically it runs but the starter died last week so I'd have to push start it.  A new gear reduction starter is on the way.)

Also, I found the Haynes manual for Stromberg CD carbs very useful in understanding how the carbs should work.  It is out of print but you can find them used on Amazon or eBay- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0856963003/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

I also added a generic, clear 1/4" fuel filter inline before the pump.  This allows me too see if any gunk is flowing out of the tanks.

Good luck!

benbeames:
As a fellow "Knob," I'll let you in on a motto I often employ:

"If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

TGM:
It's running great now! I took apart the carbs, cleaned all the rusty sediment out and reinstalled everything after replacing all the fuel lines and installed 2 filters (one at the tank and one at the carbs after the pump). The previous owner did not run any filters!

Here are some pictures:

TGM:
Here's a video of the car running:

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad53/band_ache/europa/82BE14BE-E201-4291-A204-83D2981C0615-5107-0000047892E1A20F.mp4

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version