Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Luggage box spacer cushions

<< < (5/5)

Pfreen:
The bumpers I used are from Mcmaster.  They cost $6.47 each.  They are 2" in diamer and 3/4" thick.  They have a  3/8"-16 thread to attach a bolt and locknut to.

https://www.mcmaster.com/93115K271

I attached a photo for reference.

Nisswa Collision:
Those Pfreen has used are great if you remove the bin a lot. You had to drill out the factory 1/4"-20 threads to make their bolt work so that's kinda bogus, but somebody mentioned putting foam cushion down the sides to support the box. I won't be doing that with my car but a combination of the weatherstrip and bumpers make the luggage bin a grab-n-go item. Cool if you are always fooling with the engine. You could even leave all your junk in it and pick it all out at once. I got mine done. I bonded 3 half inch thick rubber standoffs together using 3m super weatherstrip adhesive (gorrilla snot) in a big vice with steel plates to hold them square. The next morning I turned it 90 degrees in the vice and used a hack saw to saw it to my 1 1/4". I had to saw in an eighth inch and then rotate it, sawing a line all the way around prior to sawing thru. I squared it up on the bench grinder and then bonded the ugly side to the bottom of the bin with the black snot. I notice mystery holes in my bin. 2 three-eighths inch holes in a vertical pattern on the front and 2 quarter inch holes in a horizontal pattern on the right side. I suspect the latter was a small fire extinguisher but any ideas what else? Speaking of fire, I have a few air-cooled VW vehicles and have them fitted with Blazecut hoses. I think I'm going to give the Europa one too. Just have to figure out how to mount it. The shortest one they make is big enough for a Europa.   

jbcollier:
I find I remove the rear luggage bin a lot!  Mine is secured with quick release fasteners.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version