Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Distributor Help Please

(1/3) > >>

Dilkris:
In my box of bits TCS Project that I bought some 20 years ago, I have, (now retired with more sense but not as much money), almost completed rebuilding the engine. I have 2 distributors, one appears brand new albeit of questionable origin and the second I would say is original to the engine. (See photo's - I am assuming the 23D4 model is original)
Differences appear to be that the new model has a blanking plate on the side which I would assume originally allowed access for a  advance retard mechanism and the rotor head has some kind of fly weight spring arrangement which I can only surmise is some kind of rev limiter.
Distributor caps are clipped to the body on the "original" and attached by Philips head screws on the other.
Dimensionally they appear identical.
My dilemma is that the body of the original distributor has been damaged (see photo).
Question is:- Is it considered ok to use the new distributor or should I have the original repaired? (Distributor Doctor?)
Many thanks for your help in advance.

BDA:
I guess my question is how important is originality to you. I would have no qualms about using an alternate or aftermarket distributor, so I would certainly would not worry about having your 23D4 refurbished.

I would note that access to the distributor is somewhat difficult so I would NOT want a dizzy that required a screwdriver to take the cap off. I don't have a TC but my motor is similar. It may be that the height of the cap of the new dizzy tall enough that the carbs might get in the way.

MRN I J:
the new one is a 45D, possibly built by Aldon Automotive of Brierley Hill as a replacement.
The 45D can be fitted with 2 cap spring clips & the right cap to replace the screws & screw on cap, in fact springs clips are common, screws aren't.
Aldon's should be able to rebuild your original 23D distributor to original spec & supply another body, however if they dont have a body I do & I know them very well, I also have a new TC original distibutor but I'd like to keep that.

jbcollier:
You would want to know what the advance curve is on the "new" distributor before using it.

I don't see the damage to the body of the old distributor being a problem.  Should have that advance curve checked as well.  Been a long time in service.

You can check them both yourself on the engine with a timing light, marked flywheel and a tach.

BDA:
I would also check that the body isn’t worn resulting in slop in the dizzy shaft.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version