Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Transmission oil capacity?

(1/1)

2766R:
I’ve been sitting on the sidelines for quite a while.   That’s not to say I haven’t checking in every day to see what everyone else is up to.
Question: on a 365 transmission under Technical Data’, the capacity is listed as 1.75 liters (3.6 U.S. pts.).  According to my calculations, that should equate to 1.85 U.S. quarts, right?
I put in (2) full quarts and it’s still not quite up to the threads on the fill hole.  My thinking is it should be topped off to the bottom of the fill hole threads regardless of stated capacity.
A bit of background:  the trans was leaking at the output shaft O-rings (replaced with square section O-rings from R.D. Ent) as well as  from the rear cover.  I pulled the trans instead of typing to do all this work in situ.  I did follow JB’s sage advice on dong one side of the output shaft nuts at a time.  Instead of counting the turns the nut disengaged, I matched marked  the trans and bearing nuts.   Then, used a caliper to measure and note the height of the nut rib to the machined surface on the trans near where  the lock plate sits.
BTW, I filled the trans with Amsiol 75W-90 API GL-4 synthetic gear lube, so safe for the synchros.  A quick run showed a marked improvement in shifting!
Thanks for any advice and, or comments.

Gerry

BDA:
I always fill the tranny up till it starts to come out of the fill hole. I had always thought the capacity was supposed to be 2 1/2 quarts and noticed that it was actually a bit less till I just now read the Technical Data in the workshop manual and you are right, it's listed as 3.6 pints. I would just fill it up till it starts to come out.

jbcollier:
Clever marking the position and then measuring the height of the nut rather counting turns.

Fill until it just starts to drip out regardless of what the manual says.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version