Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

"Packing" under battery?

(1/4) > >>

Nisswa Collision:
What is the correct "packing" that goes under the battery? It says two, 8" and one 3" piece of packing but no mention of another mesurement. Like what is the material, or how thick or how wide? What was the original material made of? Fiber? Plastic? Rubber? Carpet pad? Mine had a rubber mat over an aluminum sheet on top of the fiberglass.

Lotuswins:
Which model do you have? 

On my TCS, nothing is under the battery, but there are 3/8 foam strips stuck to the battery side of the aluminum heat shield that protects the battery from the heat radiation exuded by the headers/exhaust manifold if that helps.

Jerry Rude
4005R

Nisswa Collision:
2603R Stromberg twin cam with emissions removed and now, new huge oversize pistons. It has the series 2 dash and heater as well as the later 4 speed but has the 1 1/2" rear brakes as used on the Special. Tonight I had a bad enlightenment. I was excited to see the set of new engine cover "Lotus" letters arrive in the post but bummed when discovering that they are too small to fit my original holes in my freshly buffed paintwork. They measure a full 1/8" shorter than the originals so the originals went back on; pits and all. I know better than to attempt to get the originals replated. I call that a "can of worms". I did get a few steel parts chromed. No surprises with those.

dakazman:

--- Quote from: Nisswa Collision on Monday,September 21, 2020, 11:50:25 PM ---2603R Stromberg twin cam with emissions removed and now, new huge oversize pistons. It has the series 2 dash and heater as well as the later 4 speed but has the 1 1/2" rear brakes as used on the Special. Tonight I had a bad enlightenment. I was excited to see the set of new engine cover "Lotus" letters arrive in the post but bummed when discovering that they are too small to fit my original holes in my freshly buffed paintwork. They measure a full 1/8" shorter than the originals so the originals went back on; pits and all. I know better than to attempt to get the originals replated. I call that a "can of worms". I did get a few steel parts chromed. No surprises with those.

--- End quote ---

The LOTUS letters from R&D were a perfect fit .Re-chromed letters will be expensive.
Dakazman

Grumblebuns:
I hope you're not looking for originality in the replacement pad. I doubt too many people remember the original make up of the pad .On my TCS, the bottom where the battery sits, several holes had worn through the fiberglass to the frame. I'm definitely going to reinforce that area before a new AGM style battery goes in. I'll also use a sheet of rubber matting under the battery. I would recommend not using the standard lead acid battery due to the off gassing of acid fumes and the rubbing of the corner of the battery case which eventually ate away a hole in the side of my left tank. My new TC still has the aluminum shield (may not be original) that Jerry referred to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version