Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

steering rack

(1/8) > >>

BDA:
I'm preparing for the possibility that I will want to rebuild my rack. I've been in my rack before and I think the part I'll might need is the rack itself - i.e. the shaft with the teeth cut into it.

Can you help me check my knowledge about this? I know that it is a Triumph Spitfire rack assembly and the only real modification to the "guts" of it is a spacer for on the passenger side. Since my car was built in '73, I would assume that Lotus used the racks from the '73 or '74 Spitfire but I assume that that rack hadn't changed much for several years. Did they remain the same in later production years?. I understand there are "new" rack assemblies available now but that they are not different and therefore not appropriate.

Can somebody correct any misconceptions and tell me which years of Spitfires would be appropriate for a TCS? What about other models? Does anybody have a good source for used Spitfire racks other than car-part.com and ebay.com - I'm looking for as many options as possible.

LotusJoe:
Here is some information. Although it talks about an Elan steering rack the Europa specs are listed at the bottom of the article.

jbcollier:
There are many variations on the "Triumph" steering rack:

https://macleansbridge.com/index.php/triumph-info/technical-information/22-steering-racks

Certified Lotus:
Replace the bushing. Dave Bean sells them.

4129R:
I have 7 of the Herald rack bits sitting in my garage.

If you or any of your friends are in London, I can give them one FOC, but I don't think they will fit, even with the spacers added to the ends.

Beware there are 6 and 7 cog pinions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version