Author Topic: NG3 gearbox  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Triton23

NG3 gearbox
« on: Tuesday,May 29, 2018, 01:13:28 AM »
Hi all, after visiting renault parts here in france i was told that no european stock (held by renault) was available for the NG3 -NG1 rear gasket.
p/n 7700658602  Nor would any more be ever produced. I found three in original blisters for sale privatly in italy and have made a PDF scanned copy to share with people for free.
i have already sent copies of this PDF to New zealand, new york, new mexico, uk, austrailia yesterday throught the europa face book page.
if you need or want a copy, send me a private message with your email and i will oblige. i have checked the thickness of the brand new gasket and you will need
0.25mm gasket paper. your printer may even be able to print directly.

Offline buzzer

Re: NG3 gearbox
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,May 29, 2018, 05:17:07 AM »
For gaskets I use the old fashioned method of a sheet of the right gasket material a small peening hammer for the outline using the casting and suitable sized ball bearing to "pop" the holes. Ball bearings about 1.5 the hole diameter I find work well. When I was sourcing gaskets for my 365 I found they were expensive and the rear casing gaskets were wrong as these are special lotus bit I think and different to the Renault rear casing.
printing a gasket does work but I find more difficult that the "old" method.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,May 29, 2018, 07:21:45 AM »
I've always just used RTV silicone, no gasket. Seems to work fine.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,May 29, 2018, 09:52:37 AM »
Maybe I'm unlucky. When my speedo gear shredded itself, I had somebody who knows something about trannies look at it. He sealed the end cover with something but it leaked pretty badly. I tried a few external sealants (one supposedly used by the US Air Force) and they didn't work. I opened the end cover to tighten the secondary shaft nut and used Permatex Gear Oil gasket maker. It still leaked. I took the tranny out and adjusted the crown/pinion back lash. I used the same Permatex goo again figuring it didn't work because there might have been a drip of oil on a sealing surface when I applied it the last time. Since the tranny was out of the car, I could turn the tranny vertically so the sealing surfaces were clean and dry. It still leaks!

I'm going with the gasket next time!