Author Topic: My Type 54 to sort of 47 Conversion  (Read 78525 times)

Offline RoddyMac

Re: My Type 54 to sort of 47 Conversion
« Reply #330 on: Monday,January 28, 2019, 02:51:47 PM »
Klaus,
Thanks for the photos, I had though that the front hinges might have been just a strip of metal.  And, the Anglia parts make perfect sense and appear to be the exact part. 

Rod

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #331 on: Monday,January 28, 2019, 03:19:09 PM »
The strip of metal doesn’t bend.  The window is attached with rubber grommets and they flex and allow the window to move the small amount that is required.

I have heard that Capri Mk1 rear quarter window latches are also a match.  Haven’t confirmed it though.  If you’re not fussy about originality, there are lots of cars with quarter windows that would have latches that would do the job.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #332 on: Monday,March 11, 2019, 09:02:14 AM »
This happened this past weekend (sorry for those who have already seen it on the FB page etc):

It weights a lot more than the stock cam cover, but certainly looks better.  I still have to sort out an oil filler cap and ignition leads.  Retro Ford does stock the cap and leads, but I like to create problems for myself.  Also, the cap in the pic was "borrowed" from the Elan, I think I have a spare one somewhere that might get modified to fit.

Online BDA

« Reply #333 on: Monday,March 11, 2019, 11:45:52 AM »
She looks great, Roddy! What are you going to do with the oil filler cap? r.d. has a nice machined oil caps.

Are you going to get something to cover the hole over the spark plugs (or is that what you're talking about wrt ignition leads)? Those are great places for trash (or even water!) to accumulate.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #334 on: Monday,March 11, 2019, 02:22:05 PM »
The ignition leads that are currently on the car are too short and lack the grommet to plug the holes.  I need to measure the hole in the cover then sort out some leads.

As for the cap, I had a look at what Retro Ford lists and it looks like they cut down a stock plastic cap then attached a billet cover to mimic the original style cap for a wet sump BDA.  My plan is to obtain a stock cap (less than $2 on rock auto) and cut it down so that I can either bond it to an OEM Lotus Twin Cam cap or machine up an alloy cover. 

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #335 on: Monday,March 11, 2019, 03:51:27 PM »
That looks like it should be a very quick Europa. Are you bringing it to LOG ?

Online BDA

« Reply #336 on: Monday,March 11, 2019, 03:54:57 PM »
Ok. FYI, the cap you have looks to be the same as on a TC which is the same that came on my BDA.  :)

In case you didn't check check them out on r.d., A reproduction stock cap is $99.00 but the machined aluminum replica of the stock cap (direct replacement) is only $89.00 and the threaded replacement with the part that is to be welded or glued onto the cam cover is only $69.00! Who can figure out the pricing on this stuff?  ;D

Edit: I added pictures of the three different oil caps.
« Last Edit: Monday,March 11, 2019, 04:03:40 PM by BDA »

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #337 on: Monday,March 11, 2019, 04:03:59 PM »
That looks like it should be a very quick Europa. Are you bringing it to LOG ?

It's absurdly quick.  And, unfortunately no, can't make it to LOG.  The main reason is this years vacation is another trip to Goodwood in September, the other reason is so far I've only done 12 miles since getting it on the road (one way from Vancouver to LOG would be 5000 km).

Offline StephenH

« Reply #338 on: Monday,March 11, 2019, 09:53:01 PM »
The main reason is this years vacation is another trip to Goodwood in September

We are also doing the Revival this Sept, maybe a couple of colonials should meet up and discuss Europa based fun?
Trip has also capped some activities around my Europa as the wallet can't bear Goodwood, Europa, Elise and motorsport all in one year :(
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #339 on: Tuesday,April 23, 2019, 07:36:35 AM »
Stephen,
Sorry for not replying sooner, it would be great to meet up.  We're there for the Friday and Saturday, then heading off to the Algarve for a few days.

In other news, I wasn't too pleased with how loud the car was, and I'm almost certain the VPD would have ticketed me for excessive noise or even a Vehicle Inspection ticket, so a new or rather modified exhaust system was fabricated over the last two weekends.  I ended up using two modified glass packs which makes the car a little bit quieter but also makes it sound smoother. 

The interesting thing, to me at least, was when I cut the glasspacks open to get rid of the tapered ends they had very little insulation (or sound absorption material).  I duly stuffed the rear most one with more and it seems to have helped.

Other than that, the GF and I spent some time cleaning and detailing the car so that I could take a bunch of photos that will be sent into ICBC (our government run insurance company/dumpster fire) so that I can hopefully get a Collectors Plate (modified) for the car.  That means cheaper insurance but no driving to or from work or school, but does allow year round driving.

Here are a few of the shots that are being submitted: 

Rod

Online BDA

« Reply #340 on: Tuesday,April 23, 2019, 07:54:39 AM »
 She really is a beauty, Rod! You should be very proud!  :beerchug:

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #341 on: Tuesday,April 23, 2019, 09:20:55 AM »
Looking good!  Good luck with ICBC...  Dumpster fire is a nice way of putting it, LOL.  Will you be at the ABFM this year?  I think I am going to take my dad's car again, though he will be on holidays and not able to come.
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #342 on: Tuesday,April 23, 2019, 10:21:59 AM »
Ross,
The car is entered and will hopefully make it's way there under it's own power this year.  I've also registered it for the Whistler Run on the Sunday, but I think I may give that a miss.  I don't have nearly enough miles on it to do that kind of drive.  I had hoped that it would be fully sorted by now as the GF really wanted to do the Spring Thaw, but I think that will have to wait until next year.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #343 on: Tuesday,April 23, 2019, 10:56:47 AM »
Very, very nice.

Good luck with ICBC.  Their whole collector plate program is a mess.  Not to say it isn't great when you finally get it, it is, but the hoops you have to jump through were designed by an idiot(s).

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #344 on: Tuesday,April 23, 2019, 09:50:11 PM »
Rod,

your car looks superb from every angle!

Mark