Author Topic: My Type 54 to sort of 47 Conversion  (Read 84656 times)

Offline Bodzer

Re: My Type 54 to sort of 47 Conversion
« Reply #345 on: Wednesday,April 24, 2019, 12:27:40 AM »
That car is a credit to you Rod. Amazing job.

Regards,

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #346 on: Wednesday,April 24, 2019, 02:06:05 AM »
Nice fabrication work on the exhaust. The entire car is very nicely done. Lots of attention to details. My compliments!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #347 on: Friday,April 26, 2019, 09:52:12 PM »
Roddy!!! That looks fabulous!!! I am british racing green with envy!!!!

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #348 on: Tuesday,April 30, 2019, 02:46:24 PM »
Looks fantastic. Is turning into a real stunner.

What year is your MGB?

Online dakazman

« Reply #349 on: Tuesday,April 30, 2019, 03:18:07 PM »
Roddy ,
congrats, it looks fantastic.  One day I see a beer or two !
Dakazman

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #350 on: Wednesday,May 01, 2019, 07:32:50 AM »
Thank guys!  It's been a relatively fun project, but it's still not quite finished to my liking.  And, it's off for another inspection next week so that my Collectors Plate application can be finalized.  I'm not too please with having to shell out more dosh, but it should save some in the long run.

1970EuropaGuy,
The B is a January of 65 car, so pull handles and a factory fitted 5 main engine.  It's a neat car that was sold new in Summerland and has had very few miles and owners.  Dear old dad bought it from a customer of mine 15 years ago now.  The previous owner bought it from the son of the original owner, and he made it run again.  When dad got it, it was nearly 100% original.  Dad did a mechanical restoration on it, and a repaint.  I have to sort out a clutch issue with it sometime this spring/summer, and if my suspicions are correct, I'll be pulling the motor to do the release bearing.  I do have a rebuilt OD gearbox in one of the corners of the garage, which will most likely be put in if the release bearing is shot.  Then I have to finish putting together the Elan motor and make it run, then weld up some fence brackets, then.... too many things do to, and not nearly enough time.

Rod

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #351 on: Wednesday,May 01, 2019, 09:27:21 AM »
MGBs don't have a release bearing.  They have a release carbon.  That's why you should never sit at a light in gear.  If you avoid that venal sin, usually the carbon will have no problem lasting the life of the clutch.  Clutch fork and fork pin wear is also seldom an issue -- unlike with TR6s -- and usually only need refreshing with a clutch change.

If the issue is the clutch being "low", as in, it releases close to the floor if at all, it's most likely a hydraulic/linkage issue.  Check your pedal clevis pins and pin holes for wear.  It's very common for the pins to be worn in half and holes elongated.  We would braze up and redrill the pedal hole.

Trouble bleeding?  Both the slave and master can have worn bore/seals and draw in air on the return stroke.  "Genuine" cylinders often work much better than pattern but cost quite a bit more.  When bleeding, after your beautiful assistant has depressed the pedal and you have opened the slave's bleeder, also use a screwdriver to push the piston all the way back before closing the bleeder.  Often can get that last reluctant bit of air that way.

If you do end up going in, make the trip worth the while.  Replace the transmission's front cover plate and seal, and, the engine's rear main seal at the same time.  Don't forget the spigot bearing either.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #352 on: Wednesday,May 01, 2019, 09:48:03 AM »
John,
I've been around B's for way too long, I know all the ins and outs.  The carbon faced bearings that were on the market at the time of the rebuild were of varying quality, we had to warranty a few clutch jobs at Octagon during that period.  The issue was the carbon wasn't held properly in the bearing holder, and would wear both sides then explode into little pieces.  We ended up stocking the roller bearings, and I have one on the "B" parts shelf, but as the bearing moves non-concentrically to the input shaft, I'm somewhat unsure if it's the best solution (though at the rate dad drives the car, it should last quite some time).

Interestingly, not long after I left Octagon, I was sent to help out with a pulp mill shut down (engineering assistance), and one of the jobs I was assisting with was replacing drive gears on a Coru-Deck washer (big eff off spinning drum that pulls water out of pulp).  The thrust bearing for the main drum was a carbon faced bearing similar to the B release bearing.  The carbon was shot, and a new replacement would have delayed start up, so off to the machine shop I went.  The head machinist looked at it, produced a lump of graphite and ended up making a new one.  I started to wonder if you could rebuild the B bearings in the same fashion.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #353 on: Wednesday,May 01, 2019, 10:56:03 AM »
Excellent!

If you manned the phone lines, I worked at both Hawkins Auto (Bob) and Sports Car Centre (Bert) and made frequent calls for parts.  Can't recall speaking to a Rod though.

PS:  Stick with the carbon for the reasons you mentioned.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #354 on: Wednesday,May 01, 2019, 11:11:29 AM »
John,
I remember you telling me about Hawkins and SCC.  I don't think I spoke with you on the phone, Bob or Henry used to phone often (and Ken at Miles who towards the end of my stay at Octo would collect parts for Bob after his move to Whitecourt).  And, I only recall dealing directly with Bert, but he didn't buy in the same quantities as Ken or Bob. 

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #355 on: Wednesday,May 01, 2019, 04:49:28 PM »
Yes, Bert gets most off his parts out of Europe and the US.

Hope to be driving to the lower mainland soonish.  We could get together and you could have a good laugh at my paint job ;-)

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #356 on: Thursday,May 02, 2019, 08:50:33 AM »
John,
It would be neat to compare our cars, let me know when you're headed this way.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #357 on: Thursday,May 02, 2019, 08:35:49 PM »
Will do.  Just doing a rear axle conversion and then I'm set.

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #358 on: Friday,May 03, 2019, 07:57:21 AM »
Hey guys keep me in the loop too, I'd love to check out John's car in person and of course see Rod's car again.
Ross
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #359 on: Monday,May 13, 2019, 07:23:23 AM »
Small update, but unfortunately no pics...  I took the car to Cars and Coffee on Saturday, it received a bunch of attention.  The one thing that really struck me was how small it is compared to the newer Lotus cars.  The Evora is huge and the Elise actually towers over it. 

I've now put 60 miles on the car and I'm now starting to get used to it, driving both forwards and backwards.  I did pick up an inexpensive back up camera off Fleabay, and with an EasyCap it hooks up to my mobile phone.  The odd thing is, I've only used the camera twice now, I think I've figured out the best way to back into any spot, back up partway, get out of the car and push it into the spot. 

Other than that, I must have been dealing with the best person at ICBC, as my car is now sporting collectors plates.  I had mailed off the application in late April, didn't hear much, so phoned on this past Tuesday and the application was approved late Friday.  Plates and insurance was switched over on Saturday after Cars and Coffee, and now I have a car that I can drive anywhere except work (or school) for a quarter of what I was paying. 

Next up is the All British Field meet this Saturday, I just hope rain holds off.

Rod