Author Topic: My Type 54 to sort of 47 Conversion  (Read 85091 times)

Offline BDA

Re: My Type 54 to sort of 47 Conversion
« Reply #315 on: Tuesday,August 28, 2018, 08:38:53 AM »
NPT works much better for joints that aren't meant to be taken apart since they are an interference fit. That goes double for screwing into aluminum. At least that's how I look at it. I prefer JIC (AN) fittings. I'm enough of a traditionalist that the red and blue fittings on stainless steel braided hose does something for me (I know that's somewhat old school now). SAE is fine, but make sure you don't mix them with AN fittings because their flare angles are different (AN = 37, SAE = 45), but you probably knew that already.

Edit: I mistyped my comment on NPT joints. I meant to say NPT works best for joints that AREN'T meant to be taken apart.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,August 28, 2018, 06:46:16 PM by BDA »

Offline BDA

« Reply #316 on: Tuesday,August 28, 2018, 01:54:51 PM »
Looks like you and I are on the same track of Lotus ownership Roddy, one Elan and one Europa.

Certified, is that your Europa body back from the paint shop?

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #317 on: Tuesday,August 28, 2018, 06:08:30 PM »
Old photo BDA, not yet but I did get an update today which I will post.

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #318 on: Tuesday,August 28, 2018, 11:25:00 PM »
Well done Roddy. Must be a great feeling to get the car out and about.
Regards.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #319 on: Monday,October 22, 2018, 07:57:10 AM »
No photos or video from the past weekend, but I finally have the car registered and insured for the road (just in time for the rains).  I managed a few short trips, but stayed relatively close to the garage, and all I can say is its very quick and very loud.  There are a few things that need attending to, but overall I'm happy with it, but I definitely need a smaller steering wheel.

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #320 on: Monday,October 22, 2018, 08:09:09 AM »
That's great news Rod!  A big milestone for sure.  I don't remember were there any performance mods done to the zetec or is it stock with new intake and exhaust?
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #321 on: Monday,October 22, 2018, 08:17:35 AM »
were there any performance mods done to the zetec

So far just carbs, megajolt ignition, and headers.  I might swap the cams out, but for the time being they'll remain stock.   

Offline BDA

« Reply #322 on: Monday,October 22, 2018, 08:26:15 AM »
Really cool, Roddy! I'd like to have a smaller, thicker steering wheel too, but it would obstruct my view of the water temp gauge.  :(

Oh! And I vote for your posting lots of pictures!

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #323 on: Sunday,November 04, 2018, 05:09:02 PM »
Hey Roddy,

I just read this thread completely. What a fantastic job you have done!

Another British Columbia guy here on the big island. I just picked up a 1970 S2 that is very original but the racer in me wants to head towards the racing versions of these cars. Yours is a real inspiration!

Cheers

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #324 on: Monday,November 05, 2018, 08:03:52 AM »
EuropaGuy,
Thanks for the compliment.  Your car looks like a great starting point, though if it were mine I would be tempted to keep it relatively stock, meaning any modifications would be bolt on items (twin link rear suspension, crossflow head etc).

This past weekend I picked up the steering wheel I had ordered (Thanks again Lou for the tip).  I managed to fit it on Sunday and took the car out for a spin.  It's much easier to get in and out with the smaller wheel, and driving is much more comfortable as the wheel isn't hitting my right thigh. 

I'm now tempted to take it on a slightly longer drive now that I'm comfortable in it.

Rod

Offline BDA

« Reply #325 on: Monday,November 05, 2018, 08:19:04 AM »
Roddy, I think I speak for most of us here when I say I'd like to see some pictures of your completed car! Please! All the gory details!

The interior shot shows you did a great job!

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #326 on: Monday,January 28, 2019, 09:40:24 AM »
Time for an update, I picked up some side windows from Kelsport just before Christmas, and have spent the last few weekends making them fit.  Both looked great when they arrived, but once I offered them up to the car it became clear that both sides would require some fitting.  I should have ordered them before paint and before glassing in the slot for the original side windows, but funds were tight at the time and I had thought I could make them myself. 

Anyways, the hinges were the big stumbling block for me.  I had scoured in the 'net trying to find photo's or diagrams, but other than a few pics of 47-GT-10, I had to figure it out myself.  I ended up taking some piano hinge and welding a bracket to it.  It's kind of chunky, but it at least is similar to the pics of the 47.  The latch portion was made up of VW pieces with a fabricated end link to mimic what the factory cars had.  I made the RH one out of aluminium and the LH side in steel.  After comparing the two, I will be remaking the RH side.   Anyways, here are some pics:

The RH side doesn't quite follow the shape of the door opening, but the left does.  Both did require some trimming (sanding) of the edges to make them fit. 

Next task is remaking the sun visors, the car only came with one when I got it, so a new one was made for the RH side along with two visors.  But I was never happy with them, so I now have to aluminium visor bars fabricated and plans to have two smoked perspex visors cut. 

Offline BDA

« Reply #327 on: Monday,January 28, 2019, 10:05:32 AM »
More super stuff, Roddy! You've certainly had to go the "long way around" on this car and it's coming out really good! A real testament to your skill!

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #328 on: Monday,January 28, 2019, 12:44:40 PM »
Thanks for posting those photos Roddy. I have bank’s lexan windows too and was struggling to find an acceptable way of fixing them to the doors. I really appreciate them.

Regards,

Pete.

Offline Nockenwelle

« Reply #329 on: Monday,January 28, 2019, 02:36:45 PM »
I was also interested in the 47-style window hinge system. When I visited Spa last year I took some pictures of the window hinge on 47-GT-57.
As we all know Chapman did re-use all sort of parts from different cars of the period. So I spent some time on the net to look for the car where he has borrowed the hinges from.

I discovered that they most probably have been taken from the rear window of a Ford Anglia 105e estate.
When a set of those rear windows including hinge came up for sale on Ebay Uk I bought them for 50 GBP.

Looks like the front hinges are just a piece of folded steel sheet.

Klaus