Lotus Europa Forums > Members Cars

Introducing 3940R

<< < (2/2)

Bainford:
Congratulations on your new project. A good foundation for a fine Europa. Now the work begins. Cheers  :beerchug:

pboedker:
Congratulations on your purchase! The car of course needs some work but looks to be close to original.

I have 3904R, so very close to yours, a california car that was imported to Germany around 1990 in good shape. Then sold to a Lotus enthusiast who rebuilt the engine to UK Stromberg specs and otherwise just kept it good looked after. He sold it to me in 2000, I believe to fund his completing of a Type 47 restoration.

Re. your car:
The engine intake has been modified to an upper balance tube, which it should. I would keep that instead of the original federal engine-choking-mechanism. People in general dislike the Strombergs, but if you change the needle and spring to UK specs they're actually reliable and perfectly adequate for the engine.
Distributor should be changed to 40953 (if I remember correctly), since it has a better advance curve fitting for the Strombergs.
Your windscreen trim is not the original, and there are various new solutions to that to be found on this forum.
If you will be doing glasfiber work, move the passenger mirror rearwards a bit until it is visible from the driver position. And you might consider filling the front side indicator holes and go for the smaller non-federal blinker.
It has an ash tray. ;)

It looks to be a great project.  8)

berni29:
Hello Peter

I'm so pleased you have got in touch. We are close cousins indeed haha. Thank you for the suggestions about the car, all very useful information. I am compiling a list of to do's and will add your items to the list.

With your car I notice that the front ride height looks pretty much where I would want mine to be. How did you achieve that?

All the best

Berni

pboedker:
Hello Berni,

the front ride height is as it was when I bought it, so the PO is responsible for that. I can't remember what dampers it has in the front but they have adjustable perches.

When I powder-coated and restored the front A-arms some years ago, I just cleaned the springs and dampers before reassembly.
The rears on the other hand, I've replaced with new dampers and springs from SJS, the old ones were sagging and not adjustable.

dakazman:
  Congratulations on your purchase.
 I enjoyed the pics, keep posting your journey.
Dakazman

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version