Author Topic: Map Pocket  (Read 136 times)

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
Map Pocket
« on: Tuesday,March 12, 2024, 06:25:07 AM »
Was spitballing about a bin to go between the seats to give me just a bit more storage for such things as my registration folder, and whatever oddiments I didn’t want to spill out of the dash cubby on acceleration.

I know lotus-spares sells a repop, but at 90 UKP plus shipping...a bit dear for what is, in essence, a piece of fiberboard covered in carpet or vinyl.

Fellow member here pinged me that he had the accessory bin that was a factory accessory for the MGB footwell.  While the one at Moss would work, say, to mount on the side of the tunnel on the passenger side of a LHD, it would not necessarily, without judicious dremel attention, look "right" in this location.  The MGB accessory has the same width dimensions as the Lotus part, albeit is not beveled to sit flush on the tunnel top.  No matter.  Only a Lotus-aware judge would know (now you all do...darn...can't get away with it at LOG...not that I'll ever go...).  Deal struck.  Dry-rotted carpet pulled off.  Sanded down.  Additional strenghtening of the bottom (the fiberboard was cracked and loose).  Black foam-backed headliner attached and box trimmed with the original chrome rim.  Lotus roundel attached.  I have better patches, but this one works for now.

Test fit and centered ok.  No obstruction to my arm movement (though, I'll have to move my mascot teddy bear somewhere else...)...so, trim screwed into the carpeted firewall trim...and it looks just fine.  Or at least as fine as it will be.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,March 12, 2024, 06:31:29 AM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Online BDA

Re: Map Pocket
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,March 12, 2024, 08:21:17 AM »
That looks great, Bryan! :beerchug:

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,March 12, 2024, 09:21:56 AM »
I have made my own from plywood covered with the oatmeal fabric used to trim the rest of the seats and door cards.

Cost, about £5.

Each one takes about an hour to make. About 15 mins to cut and fit the plywood together, and 45 mins to cut and glue the fabric trim.

Then fit 2 Rivnuts to the plywood, and bolt to the rear carpeted bulkhead from behind.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,March 12, 2024, 01:37:28 PM »
  Nice job Bryan, 
  I love the attention to detail, and the microfiber is easy to clean and vacuum.
  Dakazman