Author Topic: Pulling an Europa  (Read 275 times)

Offline Kendo

Pulling an Europa
« on: Thursday,March 07, 2024, 04:42:13 PM »
I have a flat bed tow truck coming tomorrow to take my car to a paint shop. But I just realized I don't know where to attach a pull rope or such to get it up on the flat bed. How do you do that? I imagine the front wishbones are too fragile for that sort of tension.

Offline BDA

Re: Pulling an Europa
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,March 07, 2024, 05:12:58 PM »
Attach your rope to the rear hoop and pull it ass end first.

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,March 07, 2024, 06:15:26 PM »
But be certain it is on the truck Nose First!

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,March 07, 2024, 07:17:11 PM »
I'm with BDA. How do you fasten to the front suspension without damaging the nose pulling it on? I towed my S1 many times when I raced it years ago. As long as the deck is fastened down well better to tow ass first.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,March 07, 2024, 09:26:13 PM »
I have always towed my Europa pointing forward.  This eliminates any chance of the rear cover being blown up, folding over the roof and smashing the windshield -- we have all seen the pictures.  I use a flat deck with a motorized bed. No issues.  Europas weigh virtually nothing and move very easily.  Fabric straps on the a-arms by the chassis works just fine.  That is just to pull it up though.  After that the car is secured by four wheel tie downs.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Thursday,March 07, 2024, 10:29:05 PM »
I'm with JB, the cars aren't that heavy and whenever I've had to move mine I've used rope or straps around the front wishbones.

What I do is thread the rope around the lower rear wishbone, inboard of the upright/discs and make a big loop across the car and then pulling with the loop threaded betweeh the bodywork & anti-roll bar. You still need to check angles though if yours is the TC with front spoiler so you don't crack it.

That way you aren't putting leverage on the wishbone from the hub end but pulling from the mounting points on the front crossmember. If those mounts withstand cornering and hitting bumps at speed, you aren't going to bend it by pulling it on to a flatbed.

Brian

Offline Clifton

« Reply #6 on: Friday,March 08, 2024, 03:47:55 AM »
If it is towed tail end facing forward, air can rip the hood/trunk off. I would remove the lid id towing that direction. If forward, strap the control arm closest to the frame to pull it up. There is much stress on a light car and use a wheel or over the tire strap to secure. This is mine a few months ago when my alternator died leaving the track.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #7 on: Friday,March 08, 2024, 09:11:50 AM »
I attach a tow rope to the bottom wishbones, with one end on the left one and one on the right one. That way the load is split evenly between the two.

The car is light, and I have never bent any wishbone towing the car slowly for short distances.

Do not attach the tow rope to the drop links to the anti-roll bar. I have broken the weld on a drop link doing this.

Have heard several tales of engine covers flipping over and smashing the windscreen when being towed backwards, I would not take that risk. When you look at what is holding the lock in place, Chapman had taken lightness to the extreme there.
« Last Edit: Friday,March 08, 2024, 09:25:26 AM by 4129R »

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Friday,March 08, 2024, 09:45:52 AM »
I've never tired pulling it from the wishbones on the front and it apparently is fine. I'd suggest not to succumb to the temptation to pull by the anti roll bar. A tow truck guy bent mine that way. On the other hand, the anti roll bar really isn't very hard so it can be bent back with a little effort.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #9 on: Friday,March 08, 2024, 10:40:30 AM »
My tow guy ended up using a big hook I think on the lower wishbone, one on each side, hard to see. Then he very slowly pulled the car up onto the flatbed. He used tire tie downs, and got the car to the painter. Now for them to do their magic. Many thanks for your suggestions and experience.

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Friday,March 08, 2024, 11:32:50 AM »
A couple of years ago my fuel pump went out and the guys that Hagerty sent were very careful (I don't remember how they loaded it but I think they pulled it from the rear hoop). I think being careful is the most important point regardless how they pull it and I think the vast majority of tow truck guys are going to be careful with something like an old Lotus.

Please post pictures when your car gets back from the paint shop!!

Offline GavinT

« Reply #11 on: Friday,March 08, 2024, 10:28:40 PM »

Have heard several tales of engine covers flipping over and smashing the windscreen when being towed backwards, I would not take that risk. When you look at what is holding the lock in place, Chapman had taken lightness to the extreme there.

Indeed.
Back in the day, I was honoured to be using a mates (Fort) Europa as a daily. It was parked in the car park not far from my office in the city. Upon leaving work for the day, I found the engine cover warped over the roof where it broke the windscreen. It was a windy day but the car wasn't moving.

Yes, be careful with the rear hoop, too.
It is only connected to the engine/transmission/chassis via rubber mounts and has little resistance to a large fore/aft towing load.