Author Topic: Why is this wire so big?  (Read 180 times)

Offline TurboFource

Why is this wire so big?
« on: Wednesday,March 06, 2024, 05:06:04 AM »
Why is the wire that goes to the brake pressure differential warning sensor such a heavy gauge wire?
It seems to be an after thought for Federal cars only ?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
Re: Why is this wire so big?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,March 06, 2024, 07:38:11 AM »
I don't have one on my car.  But surely there's no need for a heavy gauge wire.  It just turns on a lamp (I just looked at the diagram).

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,March 06, 2024, 12:08:42 PM »
I will probably repurpose it as a power wire for the water/methanol injection system I plan to purchase.
( I eliminated that switch along with the boosters.)
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline FourLoti

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,March 07, 2024, 08:53:22 AM »
Coincidentally, just last week I finally removed my center console and, in addition to finding the final member (hopefully) of the mummy mouse family - noticed that very large red/black wire wound around the main wiring harness headed towards the rear of the car. I followed it to the PD switch and, like you, cannot figure out why the heavy gauge. All I can think is that, since they had to wrap it around so many times to shorten it, means they had a stock of extra large, extra long wires with pre-installed spade ends from some other project, and wanted to use them up?

Anyway, I too, was thinking of re-purposing it. My original inductive tach has been erratic/dead and I happen to have a nice ex-MGB 7K tach that is the later, RVC type. I was not confident that the well-known capacitor fix would cure my original unit, so was trying to figure out how to get a new wire from the RVC unit to the coil - and the idea of using this big wire to do the job seemed like the answer. Fortunately, however, the new capacitor completely cured my original tach!

Ron
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special 5-Speed
1996 Porsche 993 Carrera Coupe
2005 Mitsubishi Montero Limited
1987 Esprit Turbo (gone)
1980 Eclat (gone)
1963 Elan S1 (gone)
1970 Europa S2 (gone)