Author Topic: Night Driving - Headlights  (Read 823 times)

Offline S2Zetec54

Re: Night Driving - Headlights
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,February 15, 2024, 10:19:57 AM »
I have an old Land Rover 90 as well……….I have just bought two sets….thanks for the tip about getting them the correct way up

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #16 on: Thursday,February 15, 2024, 10:25:11 AM »
Complete success. The side lights are very white and very bright, so when I parked the car outside the shop in the next village, the car was obvious, even though it was pitch dark.

Dip beam is excellent. Very white, very bright, with good cut-off and beam spread.

Main beam comes on with dip beam, and it is like having two huge Super Oscars as well as headlights, but without the extra huge spotlights, and the beam shake you get with spotlights, and the big drain on the alternator output.

They are highly recommended, and if you don't like them, at £30, they will hardly break your monthly budget.

Just remember, 5 light electrical connections each side, black is negative, blue is the centre one for dip low beam, and white the other side to the black is for the main high beam. Green wire is for the indicator orange ring, and red the is the sidelight. Make 1 extra cut-out in the metal rim for the lens lug, and fit them with the big round main beam at the bottom, NOT at the top on my photo.

Apparently they work from 9v-32v DC, so ideal for missile carriers ! 

Happy safe night driving.

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #17 on: Thursday,February 15, 2024, 10:26:19 AM »
Great news….great to hear they work for you

Offline 4129R

« Reply #18 on: Friday,February 16, 2024, 02:09:10 AM »
For those of you that fit these LED lights, please tell me what you think of them.

I had always been concerned about the low light output, even from Cibie H180 halogen headlights with 55/60 watt bulbs. I had not fitted 100/120 watt halogen bulbs as I thought 20 amps down the wiring would overload the fuse and the wires.

I did not want to spoil the clean front lines by fitting spot lights, I thought they would look completely out of place. I had thought of fitting an LED light bar in the grill, but now with these LED headlights, which have both dip and main on together, it is like fitting Cibie Biode headlights, which I don't think are made any more, and which were expensive,  but without the drain on the amps from 4 x 55 watt halogen bulbs.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #19 on: Sunday,February 18, 2024, 09:21:33 AM »
Well, my lights arrived on Saturday and I've got to say they do look amazing value for the money.

I put them on my watch list when Alex posted the link and a day later the seller sent an offer of £25 so I decided to try them in the Elan.  Now they're actually here I think I might go ahead on the Europa instead, I'm coming round to the idea of a constant driving light and a more visible indicator lamp. It's certainly not period classic but with more and more cars having these features, the Europa being low and unlit is probably not a good idea now.

Brian

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #20 on: Sunday,February 18, 2024, 09:34:36 AM »
Mine arrived Saturday as well. They do look extraordinary for the money. Oil change today…track day next weekend then I'll fit them.

They aren’t a classic look but for regular use on our busy roads I think they are just the ticket.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday,February 20, 2024, 10:28:15 AM »
Sounds like some great results here. Does anyone have any insights into how the performance of these lights compares with the Holley LEDs mentioned earlier in this thread?
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline 4129R

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday,February 20, 2024, 01:39:13 PM »
£171.56 v £26.99 !!!

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday,February 20, 2024, 02:41:47 PM »
Got mine today £25.64. They have "DOT SAE E9" marking which is for Spain, rather than E11 for UK. Technically not type approved in UK. ...but Spanish cars can be used over here.....

Not surprised for price. I'd still rather be seen.

Still need to replace clutch first....

Offline Bullnose

« Reply #24 on: Saturday,February 24, 2024, 05:39:44 PM »
Any info on the current draw?
The spec sheet in the ad says 600w - which would suggest about 50 amps....
Suspect the LED draw is about 1/10 of the predicted.
Thanks
grant
Grant

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #25 on: Friday,March 01, 2024, 01:39:43 PM »
Any info on the current draw?
The spec sheet in the ad says 600w - which would suggest about 50 amps....
Suspect the LED draw is about 1/10 of the predicted.
Thanks
grant

Measured from current readout on a bench power supply set to 12V, one headlight only.
Indicator (permanent on) - 0.328 Amps
Side light (in UK) - 0.349 Amps
Dipped Headlight - 1.5 Amps
Full Beam (dipped is on as well so no extra draw if you turn that on) - 2.420 Amps

I didn't try with side/indicator on as well as Full Beam but I wouldn't expect it to go over 3 Amps

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #26 on: Friday,March 01, 2024, 11:52:27 PM »
Thanks SilverBeast

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #27 on: Saturday,March 09, 2024, 04:59:44 AM »
Got mine today £25.64. They have "DOT SAE E9" marking which is for Spain, rather than E11 for UK. Technically not type approved in UK. ...but Spanish cars can be used over here.....

Not surprised for price. I'd still rather be seen.

Still need to replace clutch first....

Out of interest for Uk owners I was polishing the faded headlights of my Audi A2'today and popped the front lens to wipe out some condensation and noticed mine were stamped E9 aswell.

Still haven't fitted them yet....don't want to rush....want to enjoy the process