Author Topic: Night Driving - Headlights  (Read 824 times)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Night Driving - Headlights
« on: Sunday,February 11, 2024, 04:00:24 AM »
For the first time for very many years, I had to drive my Europa in the dark for over an hour before dawn and back home again after dusk, to go to a local car rally at Snetterton motor racing circuit.

My headlights were awful. Main beam was totally useless.

I have found Land Rover Defender 7" round LED headlights on eBay, for not a lot  (£26.99 for a pair) , so I will try them. They claim 4x the light output, and have side light and indicator rings built in. Once fitted, I will let the Forum know if they are a worthwhile option.

One problem I found is that being about 36" off the ground, most modern car headlights virtually blinded me, so down country lanes, driving was more like aiming, and when raining hard, it was verging on dangerous.

Am I losing my bottle in old age, or have others noted similar problems at night?

Offline BDA

Re: Night Driving - Headlights
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,February 11, 2024, 06:31:00 AM »
When I first bought my car, a college buddy and I went on a road trip and every night it seemed I would complain that many of the oncoming traffic had their brights on. This was in the ‘70s when car’s headlights were lower than they seem now (especially considering all the SUVs on the road now. Other than tinting, using visors (which I deleted since I’m looking out of the top four or so inches of the windshield), or sunglasses, I’m not sure what you can do.

As for headlights, I converted to LEDs. I already had Halogens so I replaced my bulbs. Holly sells LED lamps for classic cars which I have no trouble believing are better than what I have. However, the Holly lamps aren’t cheap. Here’s the thread on LED H4 conversions and the Holly lamps that might be useful: https://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=5635.msg60989#msg60989

Offline Clifton

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,February 11, 2024, 06:42:19 AM »
It's not the output but the pattern. Some LED's are like flood lights blinding everyone but not helping the driver. I've seen a lot of reviews o the Holley LED's and they seem pretty good.

Offline bjthomp

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,February 11, 2024, 07:45:32 AM »
When you convert to the new headlights, be sure to do the math to calculate the increased amperage they draw. Then compare the figure to the rating of the switch and associated wiring. I put higher wattage bulbs in my S1 Europa and nearly burned up the light switch. To accommodate the bulbs, I added relays and heavier gauge wire. I've been wearing yellow shooting glasses for night driving for years. They aren't the complete answer to today's ridiculously bright headlights, but they are a big help.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,February 11, 2024, 07:49:53 AM »
What concerns me about LED bulbs in normal headlight lenses is the point of focus for the bulb filament, as this has to be crucial to both the light output and the beam pattern. If it is in the wrong place, or lit over too big a point source area, it won't work properly on lenses designed for small bulb filaments.

These Land Rover headlights are designed for LED bulbs, so the beam pattern should be correct. Plus both bulbs only drain 3 amps, so there is no problem with the supply wiring being overloaded as it would be with 120w main beam bulbs taking 20 amps in total.

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,February 11, 2024, 09:15:49 AM »
Thanks for looking into this, I’d be really interested to find out how you get on.

You are not the only one I’m fine driving at night with my trusty Volvo xc70….the S2 is an extraordinary challenge with the brightness of the oncoming modern traffic at 36” height …..nice to find a solution as the roads are quieter at night

Offline 4129R

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,February 11, 2024, 09:37:52 AM »
This is what I have bought. Cheap !!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145259137784

I will report when delivered and tested.

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,February 11, 2024, 10:13:46 AM »
My opinion is those are a matter of taste. They look pretty "modern" on a classic car but to each his own. I think they'll probably throw a LOT of light! I'm looking forward to pictures!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,February 11, 2024, 03:07:58 PM »
The Holley LEDs are bright, effective and have minimal scatter.  I have them in my Lotus Seven S3 and they look correct not like the alien-eyes look of so many others.  You want to look original and smile at night?  Go with the Holleys.

Almost all Lotuses are vertically challenged and we sit right where everyone’s low beams aim, never-mind high beams.  Today’s high beams are projectors with shutters giving the low beam cut off.  This means that high and low beam are of equal intensity.  If you are in the beam, it’s bright.  There are techniques that can help.  Look to the side as you approach opposing traffic.  Fit a rear view mirror with a dim setting.  Adjust your side mirrors so you have to move your head to the side to view your flanks.  These all help.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,February 14, 2024, 07:22:45 AM »
The lights arrived.

The problems:- The 3 lugs on the lenses do not line up with the cut-outs on the metal circular rims that hold the lights to the light bowl. But you can fit them without lining up the lugs.
                        You have to cut off the light electrical connector, extend the wires, and connect to dip, main, earth, indicator, and side light, so 5 electrical connections each side.

The features:-  Dip beam stays on with main beam, so plenty of light
                       Side lights are a white ring around the edge circumference
                       Orange indicators are an orange version of the side lights.

You may not like the look of the lights during daylight. I quite like them, they look purposeful and not too different. If you wanted you could get rid of the orange eyes above the clean front line.

Enclosed is what they look like.

Tonight I road test them to see just how bright they are. I am expecting a brilliant performance !

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,February 14, 2024, 10:27:03 AM »
 I don't mind those…definitely could live with them….like the idea that dip stays on with main beam as well

Good luck with the inaugural drive

Offline 4129R

« Reply #11 on: Thursday,February 15, 2024, 06:41:44 AM »
Well.................it got very dark last night, I live in the countryside, so I thought I would take the car out for a test drive to see how the new headlights would work. I turned on dip beam in my driveway, and it blinded me standing up about 10 yards from the car. Main beam made no difference. What could be the problem?

Well I said that the lugs on the lens did not line up with the cut-outs in the metal ring, well actually 2 of the 3 do, and you have to cut out the 3rd so the lens seats properly in the ring. I found that out this afternoon when I realised what the problem was.

I would like to nominate myself for "Wally of the Week". I had put the lenses in upside down.

So I have now cut slots in the two rings, fitted the lenses the right way up, big circle to the bottom, not to the top as shown on my photo above.

I now await darkness eagerly to see how good they really are.

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,February 15, 2024, 08:33:47 AM »
We’re eagerly awaiting your report!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #13 on: Thursday,February 15, 2024, 08:59:34 AM »
On the strength of the first photo, I've also bought a set so your second post about fitting them is very handy. I'm actually going to try them in the Elan where they'll be hidden until they're switched on. If they work better than the LED "bulbs" I've got in the Europa, I'll get a second set for that.

I can't get over how cheap they are, I've just paid £25 for a pair as I had them on my watch list and the seller came back with an offer of a few quid off.

Brian

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #14 on: Thursday,February 15, 2024, 09:43:58 AM »
While I would never fit these to my "Period correct" S2 I wonder if they would handle the 24V system of my Land Rover 101 - former missile carrier?