Author Topic: ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS FOR !974 TCS  (Read 482 times)

Offline Bud

• 416-949-2778
ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS FOR !974 TCS
« on: Monday,January 15, 2024, 11:58:07 AM »
I am hoping that someone can help me determine what are the optimum shocks for my 74 TCS. At this point I have standard shocks and the car sits too high for my liking.
Spax adjustable shocks on all four corners seem to be the way to go but not sure that there isn't something else that is comparable
The car has sat for 46 years at this point and although I  replace the shocks with standard one, I thing I will be happier with the car lowered somewhat
This seems to be a great place for info so I am all ears...thanx to all in advance
Bud

Offline Lumbes

Re: ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS FOR !974 TCS
« Reply #1 on: Monday,January 15, 2024, 12:50:15 PM »
Last year I put Spax adjustable shocks on my 74 TCS along with shorter stiffer springs all from RDent.  I only put on a handful of miles (100 or so) before having the engine pulled...but from the miles I did put on with the Spax adjustable installed I liked.

The original suspension is really nice, absorbing bumps and the patchworked roads well while also handling spirited driving on said B roads but that Federal spec ride height is a bit goofy looking which was my reason for changing them out on my TCS.

Ride height adjustability is teamed up with pre load on my Spax adjustable shocks so less pre load also means lower ride height.  I was able to dial mine in to sit lower and still feel comfortable on the roads without bottoming out.  Then for fun I went around

to all four corners and turned up the dampening so many clicks then went for a drive.  What a difference, the car would corner so flat but the terrible PA roads I drive on made it necessary to compromise sum.  If you are looking to lower your TCS significantly

you might have to look at other setups but for correcting the Federal spec ride height and adding adjustability the Spax work great for me.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Monday,January 15, 2024, 12:52:15 PM »
There are several options available. You noted Spax. There is also Protech, GAZ, and AVO (though AVO recently closed its doors so they will only be available while they last). There may be other options as well. I believe all of them at least have options for adjustable spring perches and have adjustable damping.

I got Protechs from SJSportscars (https://www.sjsportscars.com/) and I'm pleased with them. Kelvedon (https://kelvedonlotus.co.uk/) offers a few choices including standard replacement shocks. Other than those standard replacement shocks, I believe Spax are the only ones that offer shocks for the stock 2.5" dia. front springs. I believe the rest take 1.9" or 1 7/8" dia. springs. Spax also offers front shocks that take the 1.9" springs.

There are nearly infinite springs choices you can make. In order to get the nose down, you're going to have to use shorter springs. You can cut the stock springs you have (raising their rate) or get new. I've been using 160# x 10" front and 115# x 14" rear (my spring perches are all the way down so I wish my springs were shorter).  r.d. enterprises (https://www.rdent.com/) sells Spax and shortened front springs as well as Spax rear shocks with springs.

Unfortunately, Dave Bean Engineering does not keep a web page but I would advise calling Ken at DBE (209-754-5802) and seeing what they have.

Springs really is a big subject and there are a lot of differing opinions and personal choices. You might want to do a search and see what others have to say or you can get advice from Ray (at r.d.), Ken (at DBE) or the people at SJSportscars or Kelvedon. I left out Lotus Supplies because they have been selling AVO and they are sold out of them.

Offline Bud

• 416-949-2778
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,January 16, 2024, 07:31:07 AM »
Thanx guys for the info. I think I will most likely go to Ray for Spax and springs

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,January 16, 2024, 08:10:56 AM »
Thanx guys for the info. I think I will most likely go to Ray for Spax and springs

I've used Spax on 3 cars now to get the ride heights to where the boys designed the car to be, and have never had an issue with either their longevity, performance, or ability to adjust (on the car) to meet the road conditions.  Here in the northeast (Fall River MA), the condition of the roads in town are worse than horrible...uneven, potholed, breaking up...so, I tend to keep the perches low, and the valve setting 3 or 4 clicks from bottom.  I just ordered the rears and new springs from Ray...I like a softer ride (hey, at some point, boy racer suspension is more uncomfortable than not), so went with 115 front, and Ray is looking to see what he has for the rears.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the setup that RD provides.  Just a caution, they come in separate boxes; the fronts are easy to put on with normal spring compressors...the rears, you may have to go to a cycle shop, since the clearance between the spring and the shock doesn't let normal automotive compressors you may have get a good grip, but cycle shops have the necessary tooling...just my experience...compressing and mounting springs can be dangerous.
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline RonPNW

• S2 54/1678
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,March 05, 2024, 02:20:32 PM »
About to pull the trigger on shocks for my 1970 S2.

It looks like most of the options are in England. (I sent a note to RD but have not heard back yet.)

I have 80's vintage Koni's that surprisingly have no leaks or rust and move smoothly. Considering that a set of shocks may cost nearly $1000, I am also thinking about rebuilding the old Koni's. My current stance (low nose and slightly down angle, the car is originally a Canadian import) is OK so I feel no need to have adjustable perches. The rebuild process looks reasonable but parts may be an issue.

Has anyone rebuilt there old Koni's? How did it go?

Am I missing anything by not gong whole hog on a new set of shock and springs?    (looks like most new shocks require a slightly different spring)

Has anyone recently gotten shocks in the US?

Thanx
Ron
Second restoration of a 1970 S2, now with a Spyder chassis, 807-13 crossflow engine and some modern upgrades. This car is just for fun!

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,March 05, 2024, 04:30:26 PM »
It looks like most of the options are in England. (I sent a note to RD but have not heard back yet.)

I would give r.d. a call. I've emailed them and got a quick response but maybe your email fell through a crack.

I would also give Ken at DBE a call if you haven't already. I'm sure he can help you too.

Somebody here (Turbo?) has rebuilt Konis He would have to tell you how difficult it is. I know that Koni will rebuild them if you want to go that route. Many years ago, they used to be set up at the SCCA Runoofs and would rebuild and dyno any a competitor would have for free. I have no idea what they would charge now.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,March 05, 2024, 06:15:33 PM »
Ron,
I did take my vintage Koni’s apart and clean them, change oil etc.
Even though they stroked smoothly by hand most of the internal passages were clogged
by the 50 year oil in them. The worst part was getting them apart…pics are in my build thread….
I added drains to them etc. so I can change oil in the future.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,March 06, 2024, 06:22:09 PM by TurboFource »
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline RonPNW

• S2 54/1678
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,March 06, 2024, 09:53:27 PM »
Thanx for the feedback on the rebuild. I'm guessing that if I have a smooth stroke and no leaks I may be able to get away with a cleaning and oil change. That is no new parts. What oil did you use?

I also have requests out to the usual suspects re new units.

What is the link to your build page?

Ron
Second restoration of a 1970 S2, now with a Spyder chassis, 807-13 crossflow engine and some modern upgrades. This car is just for fun!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,March 07, 2024, 03:30:37 AM »
I used Yamaha fork oil. I think I still have the bottle somewhere and will let you know what weight another forum member recommended.
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,March 07, 2024, 05:53:00 AM »
I have rebuilt many, many sets of Koni shocks for Shelby Mustangs, Griffins, Tigers,etc. Koni  will rebuild for you but what you get back is different than what you send them. They use your tubes and update the internals along with exterior changes that alter appearance. This might not be a big deal on a Europa, but in the Shelby or collector world, where the shock can be seen it’s a real big deal. As Turbo states getting them apart after years of use is very difficult.Just did a set which took a 4 foot breaker bar to get the gland nut off along with a special Koni gland nut socket. Parts are also difficult to get as Ikon or Koni will not sell to you. If you need internals you have to have seals and or packings made.  If they are not leaking, stroke through and are still adjustable, leave them as is and set the adjustment where you want. Most  think the adjustment is for performance, which can be used for that, but in reality it is to compensate for wear over time. Unless you have a unit which allows for external fluid change you have to take apart to change and then you are into seals. If you want send me some pictures of your shocks. Might be able to help you out?