Author Topic: 1972 TC race car for sale - Atlanta, GA  (Read 1643 times)

Offline StephenH

1972 TC race car for sale - Atlanta, GA
« on: Thursday,March 13, 2014, 02:19:07 AM »
Nothing to do with me, but I noticed this today as a new listing on race-cars.com.

"This is a fun car for the Lotus fan who would like track days or to vintage race on a budget."

http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/lotus/1393549489/1393549489ss.htm

Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: 1972 TC race car for sale - Atlanta, GA
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,March 13, 2014, 07:15:16 AM »
Mmmm... very clean and tidy.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,March 13, 2014, 08:22:20 AM »
Nice and tidy, indeed, but with some curious features. Why two front spoilers instead of one that goes across the entire car. Same question about the rear. Rear drum brakes may be required for rules. Speaking of rules, where does this car run? There are no class specifications that I saw so I'm assuming that it's either an autocross car or a racer wanna-be. The interior looks pretty nice, but I'm not sure why they bothered with those door panels (though they are very nice). A 7000 rpm tach seems underrated - even a mild twincam engine should spin past 7500 and WHAT DOES HE NEED A SPEEDO FOR?. Are the two seats for rules, too? The radiator ducting and front fuel cell looks nice. And the paint and body work looks very nice.

It's really clean and well done. I'm just not sure what it was built for.
« Last Edit: Thursday,March 13, 2014, 08:45:43 AM by BDA »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,March 13, 2014, 10:04:50 AM »
(part quote)
Nice and tidy, indeed, but with some curious features.

Yep, I found myself thinking the same. The detailing looks very professional and yet I found myself wondering "why open mouth Strombergs" ?  Race or not I'm not sure I'd really want to run open mouthed carbs without at least something to stop lumps of grit or small stones falling in.

I came away with the impression that although the car was originally a serious race car it had been restored with some aesthetics creeping in, like the oddball but very retro spoilers you mentioned, clearly copied from some old photos ?    My conclusion was that it's really a track day toy built by someone who just likes style and of course there's nothing wrong with that. If he finds a buyer with similar tastes, they'll both be delighted with the deal.

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,March 13, 2014, 01:27:53 PM »
^ Agreed. I think you're right that it is really a track car (but I don't know much about that sport).

I would quibble a little about the "open mouth" strombergs. When I raced an MG Midget (back in the dark ages) I used my girlfriend's old pantyhose for an "air cleaner". The engine builder I used took them off immediately. Most of the small production cars I remember didn't run any kind of air cleaner (though there was sometimes an attempt to make sure that track swarf could not easily get to the carbs.
« Last Edit: Sunday,March 16, 2014, 09:55:56 AM by BDA »

Offline Roger

« Reply #5 on: Friday,March 14, 2014, 07:58:18 AM »
The open Strombergs are OK, but bolting them directly to the inlet runners without a manifold or balance pipe is a bit bizarre.

Offline 4380r

« Reply #6 on: Friday,March 14, 2014, 08:38:06 AM »
Nice and tidy, indeed, but with some curious features. Why two front spoilers instead of one that goes across the entire car. Same question about the rear.

The rear spoilers are replicas of those that were on the Type 62 race car, which was loosely Europa based.

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Friday,March 14, 2014, 09:54:49 AM »
Do you know how hard it is to find pictures of the back end of a Lotus 62 on the Intertubes?!!

I did find some that had the separate rear spoilers and now that you mention it, it kinda remember seeing that before. The front same treatment on the front spoilers seems less common (I didn't see any pictures of it). Flaps on the front fenders seemed more common.

Thanks for setting me straight!  :)

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #8 on: Saturday,March 15, 2014, 03:25:13 AM »
Hi guys,

the same car was also offered here: http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=593.msg3817#msg3817
It belongs (or belonged?) to a member of our Forum.

Best regards

Stefan

Offline buzzer

« Reply #9 on: Monday,March 17, 2014, 10:00:33 AM »
 Yes some nice detailing and it looks well done. I'm not a fan of open mouth carbs underneath a fibreglass bonnet (or hood). If it's been tuned.... (Mind you I would have though the carbs should be changed...) any blowback from the carbs could cause a  :blowup:  blowback and cause a fire. Some form of ducting would be advisable.

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK